Open link in new tab

Method 1: Reading a thread - Click on a link someone posted - The page redirects to that site - Browse numerous pages of the new site - Want to return to the original thread - Repeatedly click back button until reached.

Method 2: Reading a thread - Click on a link someone posted - The site opens up in a new tab - Browse numerous pages of new site - Want to return to original thread - Select the previous tab.

In addition to the benefit of simplicity and speed (especially with a slow internet connection), you are also able to switch between source and thread for reference.

I’ve used both methods, and the second is without a doubt the most useful in a forum situation. Which would also explain why it is the most commonly used (yes, even if some UI designer argues against it under non-specific circumstances).

I don’t expect it to be changed, and I don’t mind as it’s easy enough to open a link in a new tab anyway. I’m just surprised, from a designer’s point of view, with some of the opposition here. It seems to me that some of you are inexperienced or just stuck in your ways, because method 1 is not as practical; it’s poorly designed for its purpose.

For interest’s sake, a poll would be good. Can one be put on the thread?