QR Code on Business Cards

It’s sad that marketing has turned QRcodes into such gimmicks, that people have developed an aversion to the whole thing. I’ve seen it used for stuff like assembly instructions, where it has proved to be very useful because of high probability of a printed manual not being around or completely lost. It’s also useful to have on a package (or a label) that can take you to a product page, and explain a bunch of stuff that doesn’t need to (or can’t) be printed.

I suggested the assembly manual thing for one of our products in development when I discovered the technology a while back, but people were hesitant because “people don’t know what it is, everybody doesn’t have smartphones blablabla”. Then suddenly a direct competitor was doing it. And then they popped up everywhere as marketing gimmicks. So the good thing is that now everybody knows what it is. The reason people don’t use because it adds no value and they know they are going to see just another ad, while burning through their data plan.

So I believe QR will stick around and be useful, but disappear as marketing gimmicks pretty soon. I have actually scanned quite a few because of curiosity how creative this particular company was in utilizing the technology. It’s always fun to get to some youtube clip of a well produced ad - that has like 200 views. Marketing departments everywhere are bound to realize this pretty soon… I’d hope.

On topic: business card - skip it.