New Windows 8 logo -beautiful or ugly?

Those who can’t see that little image so closely…

I actually kind of prefer the 1.0 “window” to the odd 2-point perspective window. I think it’s a clean take on the logo, and it certainly does resonate with their upcoming Metro graphics. I like the type and proportion, but I’m not totally sold on the whole thing. Like bngi said, it feels like 90% complete.

I agree that it looks almost done, I think the left logo isn’t in harmony with everything else. Maybe just the logo and the 8 would be a good solution. If I had more time I would give it a try

I think it looks like the flag for Greece. But it’s better then just a picture of a lion.

now that you mention it, it really does in a way!!!
Anyone up for a redesign session?

+1, I am not very convinced with logo…

At initial stage of brand launching, you might need graphical logo explaining what that product or service is.
However, established brand like windows… why are there two windows…One graphical saying I am windows & another text…Saying me too windows. (Look at apple’s graphical logo; it will give the sense of its brand.)

The graphical logo from window8 is not very strong element as alone… to define its brand.

I wish to maintain the old vista logo… But there is a thought from the new logo design team is “The logo from the vista look like a flag than windows”.

Coming back to this design…I will prefer to maintain windows text here without graphics…& not with blue…
Here, my interpretation based on this windows8 logo.
windows8.jpg

I like it, but there is something oddball with the graphic. Every time I glance at it, it looks like it’s falling over. Then I look close and it seems correct.

Yo is spot on with how this works well with MS’s new UI. I’m pretty excited to actually use it. Looks good!

Ha! Nice burn.

I think it’s a hell of an improvement over the previous logos.

I’d like to see it refined further and to be a standalone logo. The text overpowers it and, as mentioned, it restricts minimalism.

It is nice to see Windows dress up and become fashionable.

On first sight, I thought of the Scottish flag :slight_smile:

How to post an image? sorry for asking but I did a quick search on the site and couldn’t find anything

If you’re posting a linked image:

copy the link URL
Click the “Img” button and you’ll see some tags like this " [ img ] [ /img ]"
Paste the link between those tags, and your image will be posted

If your uploading an image,
See the “Upload attachment” tab below the Submit button.

I gave it a quick shot just 5 minutes, i think it might be something to further develop, what do you guys think
windows-revised.jpg

Maybe if you would work the window/metro tiles to resemble a squarish #8… now - no. Symbol needs to work without the type, it will be on icons, buttons etc… Looks like a TV channel now…

it was just a quick thought, not really thought through, I was hoping more people could throw in their version and in the end we come up with something cool.
If you have time throw one in

Anyone else wanna give it a try???

It’s not even the right Logo: “Meanwhile, the logo’s designer, Paula Scher at Pentagram, could only sigh. The dimensions were off, and it wasn’t even in the right color. Her work for one of the world’s largest brands was already being skewered, but it wasn’t even the right work.”

FastCo account of thought process, and about Pentagram’s servers being “hacked”. “Someone took a picture of a logo or made a stamping,” Scher tells us. “Some Chinese website leaked it. They put up the wrong form, wrong type size, etc.”

yeah, just read that as well, The New Windows 8 Logo Arrives, Trailed By Pirates And Haters. Kinda of funny that it got a good review by some very professional designers on this forum!!!
So come on guys lets see what you got and redesign it. I gave it a quick try, hope someone can follow up

Microsoft is like GM: They will never get credit for doing a good job.

That is the logo, everyone…

via. Brand New Brand New: With Windows Like These Who Needs Enemies? [UPDATED]

I still think it’s incomplete somehow and it could have been done better but maybe the better concept went in the drawer!

@those who don’t see the resemblance with the Apple logo: It actually went from multicolor to monocolor if you remember.

Another awesome thing I found today:

Also, I was thinking at what if the logo could actually keep the colors W7 logo had, and have a black text?..

And I think that a Windows 8 redesign challenge would turn out damn interesting.

EDIT: Something like this: