Re: Unique uses for extrusions

Postby Cyberdemon » January 23rd, 2012, 9:49 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I think the one on the bottom right actually looks like it could be the easiest from a manufacturing standpoint. That part could probably be very easily made from a single piece of sheet metal that was stamped/cut and then rolled into shape. In fact if you made the ends an even radius (pill shape) it would be very easy and the least # of bends to build the part.

Sometimes if you're thinking about making something like this that really needs to exist at a commodity level, thinking on how to remove some of those additional manufacturing steps is key.

Postby carbonsymphony » January 23rd, 2012, 10:08 am

carbonsymphony
step one
step one

Cyberdemon wrote:I think the one on the bottom right actually looks like it could be the easiest from a manufacturing standpoint. That part could probably be very easily made from a single piece of sheet metal that was stamped/cut and then rolled into shape. In fact if you made the ends an even radius (pill shape) it would be very easy and the least # of bends to build the part.

Sometimes if you're thinking about making something like this that really needs to exist at a commodity level, thinking on how to remove some of those additional manufacturing steps is key.

Good points Cyberdemon. Sometimes less is more I guess. Maybe i need to take a look at some of Dieter Rams's products.

Postby Lmo » January 23rd, 2012, 12:48 pm

Lmo

... and at this point we cross over into the realm of Projects.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Postby carbonsymphony » January 23rd, 2012, 1:08 pm

carbonsymphony
step one
step one

Thank you Mr. Moderator.

Alright members, any ideas on ways to make this concept better?

Postby Lmo » January 23rd, 2012, 3:31 pm

Lmo

Thank you Mr. Moderator.

de nada
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Postby scrotum » January 23rd, 2012, 5:34 pm

scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization

I may be nitpicking here, but aluminum conducts heat so it may not be the best material to hold a hot/cold drink.

Postby carbonsymphony » January 23rd, 2012, 6:01 pm

carbonsymphony
step one
step one

Yeah, good point. Could potentially act as a heat sink cooling an un insulated hot beverage down faster than someone may like. Im not much worried about the heat transfer causing a burn. You do bring up an interesting idea. Wonder if you could design it in such a way that it keeps a drink cooler for a longer period of time? Not sure if there is something there or not.

Postby rkuchinsky » January 23rd, 2012, 6:21 pm

rkuchinsky

I don't think the material will make much difference in heating/cooling. The material would be pretty thin so not much thermal mass. Plus the mug is an insulator.

One thing to consider is that not everyone uses a mug like that. I think more common would be a take out starbucks cup, so you need to be able to get it out without a handle.

You latest concepts look a bit more interesting, but honestly I can't really see that point of the whole thing. Is your company really going to tool up and go to market with this? You said it's not just an exercise, right? Have you questioned the original premise that this product is even wanted/needed? Might there be a better product with same/different materials that is more interesting and has a better opportunity in the market?

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby NURB » January 23rd, 2012, 9:51 pm

NURB

Scott Bennett wrote:I'm not really getting my head around some of the elements of your product, but here is an extrusion I just started production on. A chunk of it gets machined away so that just the hexagonal portion extends past the side of the unit (it's hard to see what's going on when it's all assembled.). There is also an extruded female thread boss that gets tapped to take the screw that holds everything together. Point is, if you think about adding features in the extrusion that get machined away later, you can do some potentially useful things.

Cool stuff, Scott.

What keeps the assembled sections from coming apart? Are there some dowels of sorts that each piece slots into?
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @Mike_FTW

Postby PreDesign » January 27th, 2012, 3:29 pm

PreDesign
step two
step two

Wow, this one developed into a great topic. I find extrusion a very promising technology in many aspects and believe that it will find more and more usage in the future. Many lightweight, functional and strong products are being produced. Especially the usage in automotive is a gamechanger. Many aluminium car chassis have large amounts of extrusions. Than there are Lotus cars that are made of large sections of extrusions Image. There are very nice examples posted on this topic, thanks to every contributer.

Does anybody know how fine/detailed a small extrusion can be? How complex can it be?

Postby Scott Bennett » January 29th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Scott Bennett
full self-realization
full self-realization

NURB wrote:Cool stuff, Scott.
What keeps the assembled sections from coming apart? Are there some dowels of sorts that each piece slots into?

Thanks. Yes, exactly: 1/4" steel dowels that fit into corresponding aluminum inserts in the sides (the keep the holes from ovalizing over time).

PreDesign- I have some some crazy detailed and fine extrusions. I remember one that was about a 1/4" diameter tube, and the inside had maybe 10 tiny little radial fins .010-.020" thick to transfer heat from whatever fluid passed through the tube. It was some sort of spacecraft cooling component. That detail has to be proportional to the surrounding wall thickness though (just like an injection molded part) to prevent distortion problems as the part cools.

Postby jill020485 » February 1st, 2012, 5:46 pm

jill020485

The chair and the iPod are really cool.

Postby scrotum » February 2nd, 2012, 4:18 pm

scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization

The LaCie Porsche Design P'9220 mobile hard drive. Any extrusion that says "PORSCHE DESIGN" on it is on my cool list. :wink:

Postby ih8cornnuts » February 6th, 2012, 12:33 pm

ih8cornnuts

Here are a couple of extruded products that have always inspired me

Postby sandra_swenor » February 8th, 2012, 1:59 pm

sandra_swenor

Cool technology to decorate your extrusions - extremely durable (for indoors and outdoors products) with illimited graphic possibilities!!

Check out their website: http://www.systemeinc.com in the ALTO section

Have fun and let your creativity go wild!!
Sandra

Extrusion 6_shi.JPG
Extrusion 6_shi.JPG (43.35 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

Extrusion 3_shi.JPG
Extrusion 3_shi.JPG (34.61 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

Extrusion 1_shi.JPG
Extrusion 1_shi.JPG (66.14 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to projects

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list