Re: New phone?

Postby tarngerine » October 22nd, 2011, 2:06 pm

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

I see the curved screen as a marketing/differentiation tactic. They usually toot it as a way for you to reach the screen better or for the phone to fit your face more (like the G1's "chin").

I have a 4" Samsung Focus right now with Windows Phone 7. The screen size doesn't bother me too much. I use it one handed a lot, especially on the subway when I'm holding onto a pole while checking email/Instapaper.

One thing that does bother me a lot about a smartphone trend: I despise capacitive buttons. I've accidentally hit the back button so many times while trying to load something.

Postby yo » October 23rd, 2011, 10:17 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Capacitive is often an attractive solution in the planning stage, sleeker, allows for software flexibility, but there is no tactile feedback, and the response is instant, so there is zero room for error. While hardware keys can be more expensive and complicated, and force harder decisions earlier in the process about the specifics of the interaction model, I think they are nicer because you can feel them. Better user experience. Think of how fondly people recall their iPod wheels. We had a bit of a golden moment there in hardware/software interaction and we rushed past it to get to the all encompassing rectangular display... but that is the thing about pendulums, they always swing back....

Postby simon_four_fingers » December 27th, 2011, 12:49 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization

True Yo.

I still have my 3gs..... Now the bazzel for the headphone jack and fallen off... This just mean that headphones do not fit securely in there, but it also means I don't want to use any of my nice headphones with it. I'm going to go 4s or samsung galaxy tab 8.9 with free galaxy S 2 skylight or whatever. There is a chance I'll move out of the US again so I do not want to be stuck with a phone contract that I will not be using.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

Postby simon_four_fingers » May 2nd, 2012, 10:52 am

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization

Well I took the cheap route, and I still have my 3gs... But I got an ipad (3rd gen), so now I really want something else. I guess any ICS phone could be good (I like the RAZR MAXX, and the samsung phones) or the new NOKIA lumin 900, the 710 is coming soon too. But Windows has a really small market share so there may not ever be any good apps for it. Also European carriers hate the new windows nokia's..... Any ideas?
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

Postby Brett_nyc » May 2nd, 2012, 11:39 am

Brett_nyc
full self-realization
full self-realization

HTC oneX is the best android on the market right now by a long shot.

Samsung is supposed to announce their new Galaxy S3 tomorrow which may or may not be interesting. I'm still on a 3GS too and I'll probably wait and see what the next iPhone looks like. If you don't mind jumping to android, the one X is really stunning.

Previous

Return to off topic

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list