idsa.org - take a second look

All the core77 veterans are chiming in here I see…

If you love reading, then the new IDSA site is for you. If you are a modern media consumer, then you need to have a charismatic talking head delivering the content to you (i.e. video) The site makes this difficult to access. They need to have relevant people’s faces as a link click to other content in order to be engaging.

By using the word “Gallery” or “Galleries” they immediately turn off a large portion of their potential viewing audience. Galleries are associated with the Art world and not part of the new globalized world of design. Design’s value is now networked and delivered via many sources at TimF suggests, not contained in a static gallery.

I am not a twitter user, but I understand how others find value in it. IDSA does try to be inclusive of the younger generation of designers, but that is as far as it goes. Downloading and reading an education paper is NOT like using twitter. Generating twitter content related to education papers, now that is what needs to be done. Some would call this gaming the system artificially, but it is the way it is done today to drive traffic and everybody knows this.

IDSA (in the first 30 seconds of viewing) should be more than showing links to a historical collection of design evolution (and members mugs). It needs to be a place where people of all sorts can come to discuss and interact. This site is is not that at all. Social networking today puts value on the “now” and “the empirical” rather than past history. Don’t misunderstand me, history is important, but what people are talking about right now takes precedence. Let the histories of awards, papers and female designer interests take a lower visual priority to what is being discussed today, right now. The video “gallery” page should be in the first second of interaction.

Always appreciate the reductionist comments Yo!..so very froggy