idsa.org - take a second look

The problem with IDSA is that they do not follow their own objective. Tim and the idsa.org mission statement agree -

The Industrial Designers Society of America promotes the practice and education of Industrial Design.

Except that site has little or nothing to do with promoting ID to people who don’t know about ID. History of design? Design interviews? Those are not focused for people outside of design. What does the history of design have to do with a company needing a design service? Sure I could make an indirect connection, but there is no direct correlation between some vague history of design and discovering the needs of a customer. If they want to promote ID to outsiders, they need a better delivery that appeals to outsiders.

It seems to me, site is trying to appeal to designers, which is in direct conflict of their mission. But let’s look at the site’s appeal to designers. In that case, I also find the content to be lacking. WIFM. What’s in it for me. This site has none of that. Sure, there are a few papers and interviews of thought-leaders pontificating about design. And I could even think of that as a nice feature but what is the benefit? What methodologies are shared to grow my consultancy or help me branch out into other sub-specialties? What are you doing to get the best and brightest students into the profession? What does IDSA offer that I can bring to my company to increase profit? How is IDSA making me the hero?

I don’t see it. And in my opinion, if they don’t make me see it soon, IDSA will go the way of the dinosaur.

Also, is it just me or is the site incredibly slow?