New Running brand and footwear design - SKORA

Very nice. I’m excited to see so much of your hard work firsthand.

Good Work! Thanks.

lookin good

the strap looks good. I’m trying envision how it’ll feel…haven’t had a velcro setup like that before

is the lace version a different last? It does look like it has less toe spring

Rich, excellent work, man. The details in this shoe are really special. I have a pair of the Vivobarefoot Evo, and it looks like you’re kinda kickin’em in the teeth with Skora. :smiley: (I need a smileycon with a missing tooth!)

I haven’t made much of a place in my running shoe rotation for things quite this minimal, although I probably should. (I never wear the Vivos.) In a perfect world, I’d add a short afternoon run to most days, going either barefoot or extreme minimal. But… About the most minimal thing I actually run in is the NB MT101, and that’s only if I’m staying under 10 or so miles. I’m very intrigued by Skora though.

On the affordability front, I know many of my running brethren will feel the cost too high and the animal leathers irrelevant (sorry to be so blunt about it). Is there a more affordable synthetic shoe in the works? – RH

On second look, I’m guessing that’s what the Base is. When you’ve run in it, what were your thoughts on the straps vs. laces?

Hey Ryan,

The two shoes are totally different feeling when wearing/running but at the same time, both good. Personally, I prefer the FORM. The leather really molds to your foot and feels very comfortable, and almost better after wearing for some time. The BASE is more lightweight and the sockfit is quite comfy. The strap is very solid, but being non-flexible has a different feel than leather and laces that have a bit of a give (though the vamp of BASE is stretch mesh). Both in different ways have a “wear it and forget it” feel - in that you forget they are on.

R

Very nice work , I’m a sucker for asymmetric lacing.

Were you involved in all aspects of the branding and graphical design bits? Got that vibe from their website.

Thanks. Yup did everything from the logo to all graphics, packinging and marketing. Though the website was someone else and a few things different than I might have done.

R

A Short Interview with me about the design and development, plus some concept process stuff.

Stay tuned for more to come.

FW12 Shoes coming very soon!

R

Thanks. Those had seen better days by the time I got pics. On and off the last at least 3 times… With an asymmetrical design like these it’s pretty much the only way to do it.

R

Just wanted to mention that I noticed the Skora shoes popped up on theclymb.com for a great price. $80 for Base, $118 for Form. If these shoes are as good as you say, it seems like a no brainer.

That’s a steal for sure!

R

Stumbled across this during lunch in this month’s Popular Mechanics:

“But they’re so good-looking, you’ll want to use them for more than just your workout”

Thanks for the heads up matt! Looks nice! Will have to pick up a copy.

R

Saw this in the ISPO BrandNew catalogue. Missed the booth at ISPO though (if there was one?)

Visited the booth in the brand new area, or stumbled over it. Nice stuff though!

Wow, been a while since I updated this. My apologies.

Yes, they were in the BrandNew section at ISPO. They were a finalist for the BrandNew Award for the SS13 Collection. Sneak peak-

As well, a week prior at the OR show, the FW13 PHASE-X received Best in Show from Gear Junkie. It has 360-degree reflectivity with reflective mesh, laminate overlays, even shoe laces!

BTW, The FW12 Collection is now on end of season sale. 30% off select styles! http://www.skorarunning.com

New SS13 Collection coming early March. Lots of new styles and will share some development process when it drops.

R

Pics of the FW12 collection below-

Cool stuff Richard!

Hey, Gear Junkie… Cool. I know him.

Hi Richard

Good work.

Are the seamless styles made using hi-frequency weld?

Seamless style is made using no-sew laminate construction. It uses a special kind of backing laminate glue on the PU/TPU overlays in combination with heat and pressure to fuse the materials together. Stronger and more integrated than an HF weld, and also can be used to fuse mesh to mesh or microfiber to mesh, etc.

R