Salary Negotiation / Cost of Living

My apologies if my original post came across as arrogant. This was not my intention. I feel as though there has been a great deal of talking done in other threads about what to do if on the bottom end of a salary negotiation, but not a lot of discussion for dealing with the high end. In the long run I am trying to gain a better understanding for this process as this is something that will come up at least a few times in my career; as with everyone else’s.

@NURB - I agree with all that you’ve stated. My concern with asking for more on a good offer was upsetting them. My interview went very well and I loved the team / environment / work load / responsibilities discussed. I’m not looking to nickel and dime anyone, just to get a fair market value for the skills I have acquired/bring to the table.

@YO - Thank you for your insights. So it sounds like my positioning needs to be more in line with how they’ll benefit. This is helpful as we have discussed my skills and which ones that are needed for this particular role. I appreciate the feedback!

@RKUCHINSKY - Thanks for touching on the bit about salary range. I don’t think they are necessary low-balling, I guess I’m just trying to figure out where in the spectrum I fall. It sounds like the document of expenses I have put together is best suited for helping me evaluate what the lowest possible salary I could take. I think the biggest reason for this question is that there is relocation involved and I did not want to accept without trying to figure out if it is possible to live a reasonable life style there. I did manage to factor is beer!! I filed that under “Dining Out.” But I do enjoy a good micro-brew.

Unfortunately I don’t run on Adonis DNA or Tiger blood like Charlie Sheen. So I’ll let him party hard with 8-balls and hookers. :wink:

@JDiephuis - I think the positions I have interviewed for each bring different areas that provide great learning and growth as a designer. And with company “A” that I have interviewed at, we have talked everything from a start date to living in the area and job responsibilities except for salary. I feel as though they might have left this one to the very last in order to find out if my desire for the job is based on money or based of my passion for the type of product they work on, and I’d say I am incredibly passionate about the type of product they work on, just looking to reach a salary that both sides can be happy with. I’ll take some more time to think over the pro’s and con’s that come with the positions and figure out if they align with my career goals.

Thanks again everyone, this is greatly appreciated!