What is it about shoes?????

Unlike automotive, I think footwear is a lot more accessible to students as well as there is a greater chance to get into the industry as there are lots of small and medium brands and while it is difficult, it is achievable and perhaps more rewarding as you have a chance to actually make a complete product. If you are an intern at a car company, (or even a relatively senior designer), chances are that your complete vision for a product will become something even a concept car is pretty slim.

There is a DIY element. It’s amazing how many designers I know that have gone back to hand making.

As a student, I would often handmake my own shoes outside of Uni time for fun. We would take in shoe repairs from friends. It’s not like you can make your own driveable car, is it? Even if you’re not a student of footwear, with a bit of digging about on the net and a few tools you could do the same.

I could probably go on forever. Footwear is one of those industries that for the most part, once you are in, you are in.

I will be doing this when I’m 80 (I hope!) I know designers that are in their seventies and still working!