What is it about shoes?????

I’d second all the points Yo made about why footwear can be great for designers.

For me the biggest points are that it is something that is both fashion and function, as well as the quick turnaround times keep it always exciting. You know there is a new season coming soon, so it forces you to not dwell too much on one design as there is always another shoe to do. A common saying in footwear is that “you are only as good as your last collection”.

For students, I think part of the interest aside from being interesting and emotional objects is that the parameters are relatively well defined (ie. basic construction techniques, shape of foot, etc.) so there is at the same time more and less freedom in design. This keeps the focus and scope of a footwear design project manageable, unlike say, hi tech, where you have to also consider components, UI, UX, etc. Depending on the project, you can pick one aspect (ie. style or cushioning) to explore and still get a relatively complete project out of it quickly.

In many ways it is similar to automotive design, where styling is a big part, but also can focus on certain elements (ie. storage, compact size, interior layout, etc.).

Unlike automotive, I think footwear is a lot more accessible to students as well as there is a greater chance to get into the industry as there are lots of small and medium brands and while it is difficult, it is achievable and perhaps more rewarding as you have a chance to actually make a complete product. If you are an intern at a car company, (or even a relatively senior designer), chances are that your complete vision for a product will become something even a concept car is pretty slim.

I could probably go on forever. Footwear is one of those industries that for the most part, once you are in, you are in. I think Yo is the only person I know ever to leave footwear. That said, it’s also one that attracts people from a lot of different backgrounds and allows them to be successful and on an even playing field. I know people from graphics, architecture, ID, fashion, etc. that have all come into footwear design.

R