IDSA emails are driving me nuts! (rant)

Hey all,

Today I received an email from the IDSA conference chair. I opted out of all IDSA emails several months ago because the noise to content ratio was really high. Why did I get an email? I opened and read it. I have pasted it below and bolded the parts that I am concerned about.

Dear Friend,

As Conference Chair for IDSA’s 2011 International Conference in New Orleans this Sept. 14-17 I’ve been helping get the word out about all of the great content, speakers and activities that we have planned. > It recently came to my attention however that you have been opted out of IDSA’s e-mail lists and so you might be missing out on the information IDSA has been sending out and the opportunity to join us.

Normally I would assume that the opt-out was intentional. However IDSA has heard from quite a few folks who had been inadvertently removed or who had intended to only opt out of PART of the e-mails and did not realize that once they opted out they would stop receiving everything including designBytes, studentBytes and any other communications that IDSA sends out through Constant Contact, it’s email provider.

So, I’m just dropping you a note from this account and personally invite you to attend IDSA’s 2011 International Conference, COMMUNITY: YOU.ME.WE. It’s being held in New Orleans from Sept. 14-17 – you won’t want to miss it!

Over the four days of IDSA’s International Conference, we’ll examine the importance of community across multiple layers of design, explore emerging social issues, investigate the decentralizing influence of online resources in manufacturing and distribution and the interplay between local and global participants and much more.

Never before in the short history of our profession has the audience for whom we create solutions been as much a part of the conversation. Whether we call it social entrepreneurship, service design, crowd sourced product development or social media–the dynamics of community are hard at work in the marketplace demanding new solutions and new methodologies.

So this year we’ve gone outside the discipline to gather ideas, to hear stories and to get in touch with what’s happening beyond the profession. I hope the lineup we’ve gathered will challenge your thinking and leave you inspired about the direction of our professional practice. In the meantime–work hard, enjoy the summer, watch a few episodes of Treme and lose those extra few pounds you’ve been lugging around–because come September, we will indeed “Let the Good Times Roll!”

Finally, If you would like to opt back in to IDSA e-mails you can use the following link to opt back in: Subscribe me!

Hope to see you in New Orleans!

XXXXX
Conference Chair
IDSA 2011 International Conference

Not only did they disrespect my choice to not receive emails, but they even spam me to subscribe back to the list. How can they use “you might be missing out on the information IDSA has been sending out and the opportunity to join us” as an excuse to email someone who said they didn’t wish to be emailed?

“IDSA has heard from quite a few folks who had been inadvertently removed”. Really?

I had expressed to IDSA directly when I opted out the reasons for my choice: lots of undesigned, repetitive emails with lengthy text that should be concise. I pointed out that they should look at emails from Gilt, etc. They are visually beautiful and I enjoy receiving them. Months later, I get this kind of email.

I’m not really sure what I’m trying to say: I think I’m just venting. Hopefully, someone who has some influence in IDSA will see this and make some changes. IDSA has so much potential to inspire with something as simple as a well considered email that’s short and has interesting and inspiring content.

I had expressed to IDSA directly when I opted out the reasons for my choice: lots of undesigned, repetitive emails with lengthy text that should be concise. I pointed out that they should look at emails from Gilt, etc. They are visually beautiful and I enjoy receiving them. Months later, I get this kind of email.

I am wondering can you provide a link to Gilt?

Thanks

Chevis W>

That’s what their mailers look like.

Here’s a link to join Gilt: http://www.gilt.com/invite/tgymcandycorn

I hear your point Tarng and agree that these emails can get a bit SPAMMY. Here’s my issue…

A lot of us including myself have been vocal about the lack of transparency of IDSA. We have mentioned that they do not keep us updated on what is going on in the organization, new events, or where they add value. Because of this there has been a push for info sharing. Do I think the way they go about it is absolutely correct? Maybe not. Do I read every email I get from IDSA? No. But do I read every email I get from Core77? Not really (sorry Stu and Alan)

What you have shown above is an internet magazine. The layout is great and the information is sexy. This is not much different from the emails we get from Core. IDSA is an organization that needs to pass on information that you may feel is boring but are important to the workings of the organization and to the people involved. Things like elections, sections plans and status, chapter status updates, new members, etc… I would say if you want to be involved and care about the growth of the organization and making it better than those are useful emails. If you don’t, then you don’t need to receive them but you should not be able to complain about how the organization is being ran. I guess the sticking point here to me is that we all complain about IDSA (myself included), are quick to jump when we see an issue, but no one wants to get in there and get their hands dirty to fix it.

J

Of course. I don’t want to look like I’m just a bystanding complainer. Last year, we actually did get our hands dirty with our proposal for a new IDSA website (CMU IDSA: IDSA.org redesign proposal!). That conversation unfortunately died off. :confused:

This was just a sort of rant, and the point wasn’t so much about critiquing the emails, but vocalizing my discomfort that they would sent an email to someone who has opted out.

I understand. I was not calling you out, but more asking the question to the community of how do we start fixing the problems rather than complaining about them. What you guys did with the website was great.

Not only did they disrespect my choice to not receive emails, but they even spam me to subscribe back to the list. How can they use “you might be missing out on the information IDSA has been sending out and the opportunity to join us” as an excuse to email someone who said they didn’t wish to be emailed?

This practice is illegal and literally could be grounds for a lawsuit if I’m not mistaken. I hate to be “that guy” screaming lawyer! lawyer! lawyer! as I try to avoid that whole mess altogether. But once you click “Unsubscribe” they’re effectively committing harassment after that.

I know this because I kept receiving emails from a particular spam company after unsubscribing multiple times… it only took one email saying “if I receive one more email from you I will be pressing charges for harassment, I have archived and recorded your previous emails as well as this one, thank you, bye”

The Portland IDSA chapter has a great little email newsletter called “The Brief” that I still get. That is a nice benchmark for national:

Hey Julius,

Did you ever get a response from IDSA? I’m interested to hear what happened.

~w~

Yep, Tim A. got back to me and apologized. Seems that the people who were accidentally subscribed were actually board members, not regular chumps like me. It makes it slightly more acceptable. But you’d think they would have a separate mailing list for their board, eh? My college organization had it.

Hi Julius,

There is a separate e-mail list for the board, but I think the concern was that the error within Constant Contact extended beyond the board to other long-term members who all of a sudden stopped receiving all IDSA communications without specifically opting out. So the decision was made to reach out to everyone and provide them with a “resubscribe” link if they were dropped by mistake. Apparently that’s the only way to resubscribe folks with Constant Contact, but I can understand your irritation.

Anyway, I’m glad we straightened this out and thanks for bringing it to IDSA’s attention–constructive feedback is always appreciated. Despite their best intentions, sometimes honest mistakes are made and I appreciate your understanding.

Cheers,

~w~

I received a phone call today from Chairman George himself during work! I’m glad that IDSA has really reached out to me regarding this matter. I hope this attitude helps to improve the organization!

I received a phone call today from Chairman George himself during work! I’m glad that IDSA has really reached out to me regarding this matter. I hope this attitude helps to improve the organization!

Very cool! Some times even big companies/organizations make mistakes. It really gets aggravating when these companies/organizations then treat you like the little guy and ignore you, which is 99% of the time. It is rare you get such an amazing response (from the Chairman himself!). A+.