Industrial Design in the Food Industry

Hey Fig,

yes, there have been several topics about food in the past on these forums.
The nice thing is that everybody can relate to this and discussions are usually very vivid.

I actually just graduated out of my masters and am now getting my own little studio of the ground, focusing specifically on the combination of culinary arts and product design as I have a BFA in Culinary Arts and a MFA in ID.
I have been shopping around my services in the last weeks and the reception has been very good so far. More and more design firms are looking for multi-disciplinary teams so if this in an avenue you want to take, I can certainly encourage this.

In any case, I believe that it is important to understand the nitty-gritty of the different disciplines you are combining into a new set of skills. For me it was important to actually go through a BFA in ID after my bachelors degree in Culinary Arts to learn it from the bottom up.
Then the two years during my Masters in ID was the time to actually combine the two BFA studies into something new.
It is a long road, but it really gives you the confidence and understanding you need to be a double edged sword where both sides are equally sharp.