The thread for silly Alias questions...

What curve? Please, please, please tell me that there actually exists a viable alternative? (And please don’t say Rhino, because that’s just nowhere near anything like Alias.)

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I know of no Class A modeling software that is as flexible with degrees on curves and hulls, that has as many snapping and transformation options and modes, that allows you to switch construction options on the fly and which actually retains history, almost like a parametric modeler…

I don’t think I can go back to a software that doesn’t have query edit, extend, stretch, proportional modification, hide unselected, non proportional view scale, skins (with their implicit continuity guarantees) etc.

But then again, you discover things almost every day that makes you want to tear your hair out, like for example, just now, I noticed the fact that you cannot set a keyboard shortcut for “pick curve” even in Alias 2012. You have to use the bloody marking menu for it!

And of course, at the same time, I oh, so could live without “pick nothing”, the fucking triple key shortcuts, “zero transforms”, the lack of undo, and well, everything that I’ve been bitching about for eight pages in this very thread. :slight_smile:

(EDIT: I realize not liking “zero transforms” goes against me liking the history, because it enables the absolute tranformations, but the thing I dislike is that there is no proper interface to view and edit the local coordinate systems that this creates… it’s all spread out under the pivot, orientation and reverse UV tools and probably more that I haven’t found, because very often when I ungroup something, scale factors reset and duplications behave oddly.)