I am in Asia

Nice to meet both of you
oh hey I teach at Hongik in the Digital Media Department. @epic Where are you studying Taekwondo? @designbreathing where are you teaching and how is the ID consulting going? I am at motocycledog at yahoo.com.

mcd: I am training near Gangnam stations - private lessons through someone I met back home. I got told that I’m going to be turned into “Taekwondo robot, like terminator”.

I can’t wait.

Regarding work, what’s the process like to get work at Hongik? I don’t have a masters or any university teaching experience.

I’m on the faculty at SNUST and have worked with a number of consumer product and telecom firms in and around Seoul.

Have either of you been here long? I’m finding it a very big change from back home…I think in a good way though…

I have been here about 2 years.
Sorry to say if you don’t have a terminal degree or are totally famous your chances of getting a full time gig at Hongik are pretty slim. But there are lots of resources in seoul for making things, like cheonggyecheon area for materials and fabrication and yongsan for electronics. How long have you guys been here?

@deisgnbreathing I didn’t know SNU have a ID department. are you teaching ID?

SNUST (aka Seoul National University of Science and Technology) is one of the oldest and more established National University Industrial Design programs in the nation, and is well known for its industry-university cooperation. I’ve taught ID studio and Concept Design classes since 2008.

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20100420000586

If anyone finds themselves in Hangzhou 杭州 40 minutes out of Shanghai Hongqiao station feel free to message me. We are awash in loughborough and Brunel undergrads in this city (not necessarily a good thing :wink: ) and would welcome any other designers out here.

Thanks for the heads up, and sorry for the late reply. I kind of thought that would be the case. I wouldn’t mind being able to network with the Korean ID community though - are there any opportunities for this?

I’m doing a little bit of graphics work on the side while I’m here, but not really keeping up with the ID stream

I only arrived in late April.

I will be in Beijing for 11 months from late August.

Will any designers be about? I am hoping to network out there as well as meet people who love design!

Liam

Product Design Graduate from London

Will be in Huizhou for the next 3 months on placement

keen to network

Oops, forgot to post early.

Leaving today. One Night in Hong Kong. Two nights in Shenzhen. One night in Guangzhou and then five nights in Beijing.

Off to catch my plane :slight_smile:

That reminds me…

Oct 5 - Oct 22 in Shenzhen (with a week’s vacation in the middle to travel Tibet - anyone in Lhasa then?).

@Designbreathing
Amazing! I’m good friends with quite a few of the students from the SNUT industrial design department. Met them through the Seoul design festival in 2010 and started studying transport design through their study group “Clotho”. They helped spark my interest in automotive design! I added you on Linkedin, hope to talk to you more soon.

@motorcycledog
I’m interested in some of the programs Hongik are offering. Anyway to contact you for some inside info?

Cool to see that foreign designers are doing well in Korea. I’m in New Zealand at the moment, hope to be back in “sparkling Seoul” by December.^^

Hi Guys,

I’ll be in Asia travelling and researching opportunites for the next 10 months or so. Looking to network and meet like minded creative ID’ers.

Australia: February-May
China: May-August

If you’r a designer based out there and wouldn’t mind showing a UK product designer what’s what let me know. I’m flexable with travel and dates.

Back in Australia now - hunting for a job! Missed out on ID connections in seoul unfortunately.

Anyone in china? Dongguan?

I just took off from Seoul :slight_smile:

HK

Good day designers,

Ive been following Core77 for many years and shame on me for procrastinating to join you all here.

Just a brief intro of myself, my name is Ming and from Malaysia. Currently working as a Senior Industrial Designer with a Design & Engineering Solution Provider in Malaysia.

I frequent travel to China to expedite design discussions with suppliers, managing them, sourcing and visiting expo to broaden up the design & manufacturing horizon to the next level.

Most of the time, I’ll be in Dongguan City, GuangDong Province. About 2 hours north of Shenzhen and 2 hours south of Guangzhou.

Looking forward to exchange some pretty interesting experience !.

Cheers

Ming