IDSA North Eastern Conference: A Look Back

Hey Chris, I think all of us can identify with the challenges you’re facing with your portfolio. I know that’s something I still struggle with now. “What is my message? How do I communicate the value I bring to a project? How do I get a client to envision me as part of their team?” It’s an on-going process and the funny thing is: As soon as you get your portfolio all set and ready to go, it will be time to change and revise it again and again.

That’s one of the greatest things about going to these conferences. You will develop relationships with so many different types of designers and professionals–each with their own perspectives. And each will be more than happy to give you their opinions and input on your work. I still do that today with colleagues I’ve know now for over 15-20 years. I now have my portfolio on my iPad and whenever I get a chance I show them to get their feedback. Actually, I wish this would happen more often–seems like professionals are lest apt to share their work with each other than the students are… but I think we miss out when we don’t do this.

The other advantage of all this interaction and sharing is that in time, your colleagues will come to know you for certain types of products or a specific style of work or area of expertise and, probably most importantly, for your personality. That’s where the referrals come from. We’re constantly asking each other, “Hey, do you know somebody who’s really good at… or an expert in…” That’s one thing that’s very difficult to communicate over Core77 that’s so much easier at a physical get-together: Your personality.

On the flip side, we as professionals need to do a better job of going out of our way to draw you guys in. I’ve seen a lot of students go to these events only to hang back and not jump into the discussion. But hey, you’re just kids and it can be a little (or a lot) intimidating, you know? So that’s when I start approaching those students who look like deer in the headlights and introduce myself and ask them what they’re interested in… (They often look at me like I have three heads, but it’s fun…) What motivates me is thinking about what I would have liked to have happen when I was starting out back in the early 90’s… Kinda like righting a cosmic wrong. It’s all good karma, I think.

Anyway, thanks again for voicing your opinions and be willing to put yourself out there. Keep it up. I promise you it will pay back dividends. And if it doesn’t seem to be working, you contact me directly and I’ll introduce you to whomever you want to meet. I’m kinda obnoxious that way.

Cheers,

~w~