IDSA North Eastern Conference: A Look Back

@ Marco, I went to that Branding yourself workshop, it was definitely a good way to start the conference as an icebreaker. Wish it was longer, I was only able to talk to about 2 people long enough to get them to stick. It would be really awesome if she could talk about building yourself along with your portfolio that reflects you as a person and your work in a professional way. My biggest struggle is placing my work in a manner that not only looks good, but reflects my personality.

The thing about schools helping students put together their portfolios is that (in the case of massart anyway), we have two professors that have different opinions on how portfolios should look. The only way I have been able to build mine in a way that makes sense is to ask everyone and their mother about what should be included, and use the common aspects as such. The story is really never told, though. It’s hard to condense a project into 3 slides that you spent 8 weeks researching and iterating to send to someone. If there was a seminar on how to tell a good “condensed” story, I think it would be really helpful to a lot of students. Does that make sense?

I also wasn’t trying to imply that it should just be a Design and Business conference, but those were the ones that just were the best in my opinion. I totally agree that there should be a bunch of different topics. I also noticed you avoided the Maeda comments, do you have any thoughts on it?

@ Warren, Oh! I didn’t even realized I didn’t state my name. But yes, I am Christopher Cheney. Junior, Massart, ID. Was definitely not trying to avoid giving out my name, after all it is the email I am using. I can definitely see what you are saying with the cost being worth the social aspect being spent, and I will just have to see in the long run if it was worth it. It is the reason why I went last year also, networking and such.

I definitely appreciate you guys taking the time to talk about this stuff, I hope that more people drop in here and throw a few words down.