Open Wheel Track Car

yeah, I like the Sapperesque approach sometimes, but in cars I’m way more attracted to flowing lines… I might have been a little burnt out on overly angular styling in the past :open_mouth: . It’s fun to follow your project though, keep it up!

I’m digging the process that is developing. I too like the flowing lines in my cars, but hard angles are good. The angles will brake it up. A strong jaw line is made beautiful by the elegant curve of the clavicle.

I like the angular lines as mentioned and seen with the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento below.

Very Ariel Atom, looks good. Any updates on the build?

I would love to own one of these (open wheel track cars)

Been slamme the last couple of months, plus working on another project with www.icon4x4.com

But this has Ben on mind a lot, will return to it in a few weeks.

You’re making a good case for curved forms :wink:

Hey Yo, I have a question:

Why does the outline of the frame have such an abrupt change in direction when looking at it in plan view, before and after the rear wheels? Is that a typical feature in a car like this?

I’m not quite sure as Danny designed the chassis, maybe he can answer.

You guys are making me want to get back to this project…

I had some time to think of the next version of this open wheel track car. It is still evolving, but overall it still has that crisp, folded paper Bertone feel which I think works for it. In this version, I’ve grown the “door sill” area quite a bit to add some sculpture to the cross sections, and make the wheels feel more a part of the overall composition. I’ve used this space to add some venting to the engine, while trying to keep it relatively clean, and not to be-finned. Between headrest binnacles is an additional series of vents allowing heat to flow off the engine.The front end still has the exposed frame, but it is much cleaner and tidier, and shows as just a thin bar now peaking between panels.

Cool stuff!

This is just my personal taste, but I really think the car could use some slight asymmetry.

I am a huge fan of the classic Can-Am and Le Mans cars of the 70’s and 80’s. These cars were just incredible in terms of styling and raw power. I mean 1500bph flat-12 twin turbo and a pressurized tube chassis, just incredible machinery in an incredible day.

But anyway, I love how the cars of this era, and even modern day ALMS and prototype cars are asymmetric in layout, but from afar still evoke a symmetric silhouette.

Also I think a flip down or removable windscreen like a MG-TD would be a really nice touch. Those spec miatas with the chopped front A-pillars have always looked so bad ass (see pic).

Oh and I just had to add a picture of my favorite car of that era, Porshe 908. Great graphics, great profile, and a pretty successful racecar too.

Michael, That is looking fantastic! Sorry I haven’t been on the boards in a bit, I’m finishing the WRX STI version of the Mako chassis now…gonna be soooooo fast. (maybe to fast if there is such a thing)

M3rik, I could not agree more, The 908’s, 917’s …nothing like them!
PooK

I haven’t seen a Gulf Oil 908 before (of course I don’t think I’ve ever looked at one)

Very cool indeed. I suppose if this is indeed a Track Car, you could pull it off if you didn’t want to have a second seat.

Second seat is so that it can be (semi) street legalized… because I’m going to want one to drive to work in. :wink:

Thanks Danny, lets chat next steps via email.

i’m liking the direction much better, still needs some refinement, but the form factor feels pretty good.

Really digging the revisions, especially the front end and cockpit. Cant wait to see the details hammered out.

Have you finished building the actual model. I admire your talent. It would be a dream to design something and then actually build it! I guess your dream is becoming a reality. Just wondering, how do you plan on powering the vehicle? Are you planning on using gas-powered, electric, solar, or other means?

Devans

Zhu Zhu Puppies are my favorite design.

still playing

Thats Kewl!!

PooK

It’s looking nice and Bertone-y! I love the clean crisp form! It’d be beautiful to see in raw aluminum or glassed

Reminds me a lot of Ken Okuyama’s car design:

Nice work, I enjoy seeing the progression.

Cool sketch. It looks like an Italdesign concept Formula Ford car from the late 1970’s.

way back machine