Op-Ed: Chinese-inspired design is the future of design

Congress enacted intellectual property laws as means to promote progress which is a legislative intent and mandate. IP law, collectively, incentivizes individuals and groups of individuals (teams) to develop innovative ideas to further civilization for a limited government protection (i.e., certain terms of years of protection). To that end, the West has done that quite effectively and well. With due respect to China and other cultures and their way of doing, thinking, etc., the modern China in the past 100 or so years with communist stronghold has impeded progress. Fast forward, China is exploiting capitalism just as much as capitalism has exploited China - it’s the new wild, wild west. With respect to China and other Asian countries, counterfeiting, on every level, has been rampant and blunt. But, let’s not be naive. Many in the West has done the same, but in a more subtle and clever ways, i.e., Microsoft copying the Apple user interface in the early '90s only to settle after a lawsuit was brought on by Apple.

I do get the gist of David’s original post, but it would be a tall order in light of the clash and fusion between communism and capitalism for the moment.