Op-Ed: Chinese-inspired design is the future of design

I am doing both: strongly proposing that Chinese design be a philosophically-based movement that leads other cultures to do the same AND hypothesizing that Chinese design won’t take hold unless it looks at its philosophies for inspiration and foundation. Of course, at the same time, I’m inviting comments because this isn’t a process that I alone can begin. With more feedback, I can take the opportunity–as I am now with your comment–explain further what I mean. I won’t be able to make it make sense for everyone in one shot. And if there’s an opportunity to mold it and shape Chinese design together with others, I fully welcome it.

As for your view of a homogenized world, I partially agree. Yes, cultures are blending together more so than ever, but more important, they are exchanging and adopting ideas more so than ever. However, precisely because of it, people will be even more driven to find unique and authentic things that they can identify with while also accepting other cultures. Homogenization will be particularly apparent in technology and communication methods, but it will likely be less so with culture and identities. If I may use a simplified analogy: everyone can be on Facebook 10.0 in a few years, but each person’s belief system, background, and social circles will still be unique. The ‘homogenization’ of everyone being on Facebook simply means Facebook becomes a standard platform for people to communicate more directly, openly, and freely. And it’s a good thing.