Beats by Dr Dre

Not much more than a quick shout out to the designers at ammunition. I’m sure the success of the brand owes a bit more than this guy acknowledged in this interview to the ultra clean design. Otherwise we might be talking about snoop dog or ludacris brand headphones.

This interview was super interesting to hear though. A music industry exec rounding up a design consultancy, an electronics manufacturer and distributor, and the star endorsers … all to create a perfect storm of a new brand.

I’m in the market for new headphones, and was finally thinking about venturing away from earbuds. I was shying away from Beats because of their seemingly massive product placement marketing campaign. Everyone who’s supposed to be cool has got these things around their neck which makes me weary. But I do love their design.

I tried them out a few days ago and there is a huge difference between even the $200 pair and the $100 dollar other brand pairs I tried. But just like the he said, between $200 and $400 I couldn’t tell much difference.

So the bottom line is I decided I’m going to get the red 200 dollar version and use some pad print solvent to take off that huge beats by dre scroll along the top.