Icon

Looks great. I love the raw metal color.

The bridge between the headlight bezels is a really nice detail. I could see the whole car really matte and monochrome with that part popped out in a high key color.

keep it coming

Thanks man, it is very close to the initial sketches. Jonathan at Icon used Burkebuilt Engineering, who I’ve worked with in the past, and we were back and forth on the solid works and protos, as it should be. Communication and collaboration. Hard to believe this was back in '09 when this was happening.

Yes, I could imagine lots of color options. The body is completely powdercoated, no paint, so there are some limitations, but it would be cool to see that iconic bar shape in a bright color.
Screen shot 2011-03-28 at 6.34.49 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-28 at 6.34.40 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-28 at 6.34.20 PM.png

Very cool.

Too many cars these days are covered in excessive and unnecessary lines so Im glad you kept it simple with the grill, very iconic (pun intended).

Looking forward to seeing the next round of projects!

OT:
Any updates on the track car project :slight_smile: ?

Thanks Jim. I’m a little to busy on Icon work to mess with the track car for right now. It will come back around though.

Awesome looking forward to both

What’s that little lizard?

It is their logo.

What’s that little lizard?

It is their logo.

Well, there’s a few of those around… but at least a gecko/lizard is appropriate for an all-terrain vehicle (as long as you don’t tell me that it can pull overhangs… . ) :wink:

Nice work Michael. Evokes a post-war, all-business sense that I like about off-road vehicles; not that a little whimsy is a bad thing.

Down here in Pismo Beach, the only drive-on-beach coastal State Park on the west coast, we see so many of these machines (mostly on trailers) coming up from LA and points east … most look like R/C toy wannabes. Some arrive under their own power, but not too many; over-the-road driving tends to wear out the center of deep-cut tires.

Hmmmm… might be a good subject for “Vehicles Spotted in Your Neighborhood” although I think it would become boring pretty quickly.

Where you going to hang that front fascia?

Hey Yo, did you read the autoblog article on the Icon Bronco? There is a nice little shoot-out to your behind the scenes involvement. Seems you did quite a bit more for them than you let on. Nice!

I didn’t do too much on this vehicle. Camillo Pardo dod the exterior. I did some consulting on the interior CMF as well as designing the gauge cluster to make sure it felt familiar to the FJ cluster: below is the FJ cluster and the Bronco cluster:

Mike, I have to give it to you…You definitely have your own style. There is always a touch of the DiTullo signature in everything you do. its pretty cool and something I think we should all strive to do. bring our own style to the design while maintaining the brand identity and project needs. Looks great!!

J

Yo, what was the connection with Nike? It doesn’t really describe their contribution, but the door sill plaque has the logo and the Nike gave them those sweet boots. Just curious.

Thanks man. It is not intentional, other than just trying to do my best, I try to make it fit within the brand while still pushing the boundaries of it… just for my own growth, can you help me identify what makes something have my style?

One of Jonathan’s many skills is pulling together a great virtual team and keeping them to his vision. For example on the CJ, I was contracted to do the design of the front end, and did some overall positioning and mood boards. There were also designers from Toyota and the Creative Director from Volcom, as well as a CCS student contributing ideas. All of that went into the hopper as Jonathan and I were going round on concepts. We did A LOT of concepts, probably 40-50+ pretty resolved front end ideas before one night I scribbled out the final sketch and emailed it to him saying if this isn’t it I don’t know what is, he pinged me back and 30 seconds saying “nailed it, that’s it”. That entire time we were also working the engineering team down at Burke Built Motorsports who did the final CAD build as well as doing most of the CNC’ing and custom sheet metal operations, so we had their input to work with. Essentially it is a coalition of super passionate people. Jonathan has the overall vision, and the attention to detail, and ability to keep us all on the tracks to make it all work… and of course he is doing that across all the systems on the vehicle, like getting Chilewich in on the interior materials. It is kind of amazing.

During the process on the CJ, I kept it pretty low key, only my direct boss and the VP of design knew I was doing it at the time. When it was done, I started telling people about it, and folks went nuts. Nike paid to ship it up to campus and show it for a week, as well as get Jonathan up so he and I could walk the CEO through it… which began his relationship with the Innovation Kitchen at Nike.

On the Bronco, Jonathan brought Camilo Pardo (of Ford Mustang and GT fame) on to lead the design. I was contracted to work on interior consulting and components, and the Inno Kitchen got involved with refining some of the details as well as giving feedback, and lending their rapid prototyping facilities so we could iterate a little more. On that Gauge bezel for example (which autoblog said was their favorite part of the interior :wink: ) Jonathan and I designed dozens of options, then had a bunch printed, we refined them, had more printed, then finalized the design and got into CNC’ing.

ah very cool. Sounds a like a fun process. Was there ever a time when everyone was in the same room?

Never, sometimes a few of us, but most of us are so spread across the country…

A little more info about the Icon Bronco:

http://autoholics.com/2011/11/02/Jonathan-Ward-Talks-About-His-Bronco-579413

Looks stunning! I like all the refined but not overdone details. The stealthy color looks awesome.
What`s going on in the headlights, multiple leds/halogens?

Now that’s cool. Love the gauges!

Wow thats a sweet front end, going to sell a bundle.