Slam #1: An end to the plastic grocery bag.

3 reusable bags.

I’ve been researching different types of reusable bags and reusablebags.com seems to be the internet authority. Founded by Vincent Cobb, reusablebags.com carries a huge variety of alternatives to plastic grocery bags. I dig this quote from Cobb and it seems relevant to the design slam theme: “Is the plastic bag the worst thing adversely affecting our environment? Probably not. However it is very important because of its ubiquitous nature. Nearly all of us use them – all the time. Pervasive and out of control, it is a powerful symbol of consumerism gone wild. By raising awareness of this issue we hope to make the act of mindlessly consuming bags uncool.”

I grabbed a cross-section of the types of bags offered on the site. The timeless string shopping bag, a light nylon version of the t-shirt bag, and a heavy-duty nylon tote. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

String bag: This bag is completely lightweight yet able to carry a lot of groceries. The best thing about it is its ability to stretch, so just when you think you’ve fit all that you can you can still throw in that last eggplant. I think the problem with the string bag is its lack of structure when loading and also the perception that it could be unsanitary. Americans seem obsessed with the perceived cleanliness of a virgin plastic bag, especially when it comes to food. That aside I still wouldn’t want to load this bag up with produce and then set it on the floor of the subway.

Lightweight Nylon: The cool thing about this alternative is that it fits in with the current system for bagging groceries at the check-out counter. It is a literal translation of the disposable PGB into a more durable but still lightweight material. It also folds into a small pocket which is attached at the bottom making it incredibly small. But again it lacks structure when loading (except at the check-out counter, and I guess that’s where it counts).

Heavy Duty Nylon: Finally the work-horse, this bag is made to last a lifetime. It resembles a traditional paper grocery bag with some added handles; it stands nicely on its own for easy packing. However with that durability and quality of materials come a not-so-compact package. It folds similarly to a paper grocery bag.

Each of these bags has the potential to save thousands of throw away PGBs.

Ideally (and what I’m gathering from your helpful feedback) the solution should be a bag that is: (1) easily folded flat, both for storage at the checkout counter and for refolding for the return journey; (2) relatively inexpensive to produce, (it might be nice to actually estimate how many throw away plastic grocery bags a reusable durable bag would displace and put a dollar figure on that amount to get a somewhat realistic standard cost); (3) made of durable, sustainable materials that give the bag structure but also keep it lightweight; (4) easy to carry, possibly in different configurations (traditional handles, over the shoulder, etc); (5) incorporated into a comprehensive system that encourages return and reuse as a rule; and (6) has an appropriate strategy for end-of-life disposal when it is finally properly disposed of after a lifetime of good use : ).