Open Wheel Track Car

Hello Michael Ditullo !

I´ve been reading here on core for quite a while and now I registered finally, partly because I wanted to contribute to this thread and your project. So this is my first post.

I really like what you are doing, you have nice sketches and the angular approach does make sense in terms of production methods and uniqueness in form, although it might look not-as-pleasing, it could give it a special standing.

However, the main thing I wanted to write about is the front of the open wheel track day car.

It´s about the exposed frame: The idea of showing this is nice. It reminds me a little of the “VW Buggy” . Anyway, I am sure that showing technical components is a good idea on such a car. Styling- wise, I understand the exposed-frame-in-the-front-thing. It´s a bit like a “core and shell” concept and has been used, in a quite different way of course, on the ktm x-bow from the same “car” category. It´s nice to show dampers, suspension, and all the nice stuff to the people who like to see it. It underlines the rawness and pureness of the concept and the technical finesse. We don´t have to argue about all that I guess.

Still, I do see a problem here. I come from a motorsport background and I´ve experienced that especially the front of a vehicle is a very delicate area when it comes to speed, aerodynamics and drag. I think the exposed frame will create quite an amount of drag. I think this is not to be underestimated, as that will already occur and have an effect at low speeds of 40 mph - and of course a lot more at higher speeds (at double the speed, it´s 4 times as much)

The question is, if this is important. If the car is for fun purposes only, one might say it is not. If it is for laptimes, then it is important. I can imagine people driving this car, wanting to reduce their laptimes and covering that area in some (probably not very nice) way.

I think you should include a solution for that in your design, as the probability might be high, that this detail which might be important for your design concept will be changed later and you might have no control of the outcome design-wise. I could imagine a clear cover in an aerodynamic shape, so that like on a helicopter canopy you can look through and see this detail. I don´t know what you think of this in terms of style. But surely it would be something recognizable and extraordinary. If you don´t like this idea, maybe you can find another solution or change this area.
Of course you don´t have to, I just wanted to remind you of a - in my view - problematic effect of your design, so you can be aware of it and change it to the better to ensure the optimal performance of the track day car.

This is not supposed to sound like a harsh critic.
I am looking forward to your reply and if u want to react to my point in your design.

Kind regards,
Simon