A new design organization?

APPD: Association of Professional Practicing Designers.

You need to have a degree and/or professional work experience, 3 references from professionals with at least 5 years of experience or the sponsorship of an existing member, and there is a portfolio review, or you may be invited to join.

I think the above outline by Yo is one of the most important things. Much like being a degreed engineer in Canada being a member of the group holds a certain amount of weight. It also becomes something that people strives to become members of as it represent and is recognized as a association that is beneficial to be apart of not only by its members but also by the business community and employers.

“Oh you are a member of APPD - well this makes the interview easier as we know you are held to high standards by that organization” is what the employeer would say…

I would also like to add the following to the thought.

A. As an active member you are responsible and mandated in some way shape or form to give back to the design community and to future members. i.e lecture at a local school for 1 class, host a online webinare something once a year.

B. The group has to branches for continuing education 1. Skill sets 2. Business within these two areas there would be several additional items. Ideally the the seminars would be hosted by high level individuals and in conjunction with a board certified school.

Chevis W