THEME:
Play-Doh Kicks
DOORS OPEN:
Wednesday, August 4, 2010

DOORS CLOSE:
Saturday, September 25th DEADLINE EXTENDED
9 pm PST (4 am GMT)

BRIEF:
This month, we’re celebrating shoe designers all over the world with our latest 1 Hour Design Challenge: Play-Doh Kicks. To get you loosened up for fall, when we all go into overdrive again, this one’s fun, casual and three-dimensional. Your task is to recreate or reinterpret your favorite pair of shoes in play-doh, in one hour or less.

Cut loose and give your imagination a stretch. Maybe you’ll create a miniature tribute to your favorite sneaker designer of all time. Or, honor your humble, beat up kicks by sculpting their likeness, busted soles and all.

To help us pick the best entries, we’ve enlisted Sneaker Freaker, the only magazine to document the international footwear craze, and Kueng Caputo, the Switzerland based designers behind the Copy series of design workshops. Woody, Sneaker Freaker’s founder and editor, has generously offered the winner a lifetime subscription plus publication in the magazine’s December issue. Kueng Caputo are throwing in their book Copy, a compilation of results from the workshop. And, finally, we’ll be throwing in gift certificates to Hand Eye Supply, our new store for designers and makers.

This is gonna be a fun one, so start rolling out that Play-Doh!
JURY:
Woody, Editor and Founder of Sneaker Freaker
Sarah Kueng and Lovis Caputo of Kueng Caputo
The Core77 Editorial Team

CRITERIA:
Models must be made completely of play-doh, but can be tooled with anything you’ve got on hand, from exacto-blades to butter knives.

We’ll be looking for how well you express the character of your chosen shoe, how resourceful you are in your methods, and how original you are in your interpretation.

HOW TO ENTER:
Participants must execute their design in only 1 hour, based on an honor system. To enter, upload your entries to the designated competition forum.

Please include the name of the shoe you chose to recreate, any supporting text you’d like to add, and a photographs of your model as follows: a three-quarter view, a side elevation, and an optional sole view. Remember to save high-resolution photographs of your model in case it is selected for publication in Sneaker Freaker!

To discuss the challenge and the entries, visit the 1HDC discussion forum.

PRIZE:
The Grand Prizewinner will receive a lifetime subscription to Sneaker Freaker, Copy by Kueng Caputo, a $100 gift certificate to Hand Eye Supply.

Two honorable mentions will receive a $25 gift certificate to Hand Eye Supply.

All of the above will be published in the Core77 Newsletter and Sneaker Freaker’s December issue.

Please use this forum for Discussions only!

Use the Submissions Forum submit your entry for the Play-Doh Kicks 1HDC

Great contest, I’m going to get me some play-dough right away!

I figured that I would get creative before I even start modelling… haven’t made playdough since I was about 7!

WAAAAAAAA!!!
:open_mouth: :smiley:

I’m soooo excited, I feel like Jessy Spano right before she crashes and “feels so afraid”.

So this needs to be 100% Play-doh, we cannot use a buck of any type correct?

“so scared”

• JS

This sounds fun, I think I may have to get my kids in on this one too …

Hey Everyone!

Lisa here, part of the team at Core77.

Simon_four_fingers - you’re right that it should be 100% Play-Doh. I like the idea of a buck, but we’re keeping it simple for the 1 hour time limit and looking for creative uses of this very lo-fi material.

Note: You can enter as many times as you want, and the 1 hour time limit does not include photographing your work, or making your own play-doh, for those of you (firenzee) that are mixing up your own, which is a great idea.

I love that Jesse Spano quote by the way, totally part of my everyday vocab.

Looking forward to the results!

Lisa

Remember that time we went to see ET and rode our bikes home in the dark? We were scared, but we made it Jesse!

/unjack

this is going to be a fun one. Ive got a few ideas now i just need to get the play-doh. Just too many good shoes out there.
The grand prize is awesome.

DEADLINE EXTENSION!

Note that the deadline for this 1HDC has been extended until Saturday September 25, 2010

let the good times roll!! my favorite shoe of all would have to be the rollerskate…here’s my creation, inspired by http://www.lonskate.com/rio%20roller%20skate.JPG

I love SBTB but it’s so embarrassing to watch.

But their episode on the school oil spill was pretty much exactly like the BP gulf oil spill. We all should have listened.

Im going to find some play doh tonight, this looks fun.

Hey, was just wondering when the judging for the play doh shoe challenge will take place?

The plan is to usually announce the winner in the monthly newsletter.

It sometimes takes a bit more time depending on what’s going on. So, give it a week or so.

So the results haven’t been announced yet?

How does one redeem a prize if they’ve won?