books on sketching skliz...?

Hello,

im the author of darstellungstechnik, german rendering book. this title you can actually get only in german and japanese language, but i have good news for you. My new title darstellungsmedien is also available in english, the english title is representation media, its about rendering, especially about the different sketching media. its 29,90 Euro, you can order
it on my adress, or on www.elbtunnel.de, or amazon (klick on the title,and you get pictures).

http://www.amazon.de/Darstellungstechnik-Umsetzung-Präsentation-Alexander-Ott/dp/3830713401/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266251756&sr=8-1

if you have any questions about my books, please send me an e-mail.

Alexnder Ott
Dipl.-Des(FH)

Thanks everyone for the warm reception to my first book, just sold the 80th copy: Analog Dreams by Michael DiTullo | Blurb Books

Hey guys, does anyone know of any good books pertaining to human body proportions and especially hand proportions? I would like to become more comfortable with adding these into product and furniture sketches. ThAnks

I used David Finch’s Gnomon video series on dynamic hand and feet drawing and it’s definitely worth the money, really well done, clear instruction and tons of great narrated footage

Also he has one on the body and the face

Got this one for $5.00, great stuff!

Richard Henry Arbib > was considered one of the leading industrial designers in the United States in the years following World War II. By the 1950s, he had established himself as one of the true visionaries in his field, producing groundbreaking design concepts not only for automobiles, but for a range of products that included wristwatches, pens, boats and even personal helicopters–designs so innovative than many of them would still be considered advanced today. This book is an attempt to rediscover both the man and his extraordinary work. Combining a biographical essay and commentary by historian and collector Frederic A. Sharf with 35 never-before-seen drawings by Arbib, this is a revelatory look at one of the great artists of America’s industrial history, and the first biographic study of his work.

Congrats Michael!! I just saw this.

Thanks man, a few copies away from hitting 100!

Just got Ditullo’s new book, “Analog Dreams”, in the mail today. After looking through it I was really impressed.

First off, it has a nice collection of his sketches, ranging from footwear to architecture, with a brief description of why and when they were done. Footwear sketches are awesome, and it’s nice to see them on paper rather than behind a computer screen. It makes it a lot easier, at least for me, to analyze his sketching style and to apply parts of it towards my own style :wink:

What I really liked about the book is how Ditullo explains his philosophy behind sketching. He explains what it means for him on a personal level and what it means for industrial design as a profession (really insightful information, especially for designers still in school like me).

He also provides tips for improving your sketching skills and lists the key ingredients to creating a “hot” sketch. Again, good information.

Overall, nice book. Definitely recommend it and it acts as a good source of inspiration and reference. Congrats Yo!

Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad you are enjoying it and finding it useful!

BTW if you’re buying Analog Dreams, use the coupon code SAVETWENTY to get 9 bucks off.

Is there ebook version of analog dreams as well.

No I don’t believe so.

There is not at this point, there is also free shipping until the end of the month.

In this month’s issue of Kiosk Magazine:

“the Designer’s sketch in the Digital toolbox” James Self, pg 42-51

features sketches by yours truly

Digital version here: http://www.kiosk-magazine.co.uk/issues/

Thanks for the mention Michael…Did you get the hard copies I sent over airmail?
Not sure if these have been mentioned in this thread:

Design Sketching: http://www.designsketching.com/ (very good)

Drawing for Designers, Pipes, A

Sketching: drawing techniques for product designers

And for some ideas around the skills and knowledge associated with sketching and the use of other design tools, you could dip into something like Lawson’s What Designers Know…

James.

I am looking for motorcycle and moto accessories sketching books. Is there any books or books with this contents?

SKETCHING THE BASICS

Following the global success of Sketching, which has sold over 50,000 copies in two years, authors Koos Eissen and Roselien Steur will in 2011 be bringing out the sequel entitled Sketching: The Basics. In fact, prequel would be a better word for this new book, since it is aimed towards the novice designer.
Whereas Sketching shows you how to draw various aspects of shape and form, and serves more as a reference book, The Basics explains things in more detail, taking the reader by the hand and guiding him step by step through all the various aspects of drawing that novice designers come up against.
The Basics explains the rudiments of learning to draw both clearly and comprehensively using step by step illustrations, examples and strategies. You will learn to use and master the different techniques and also how to apply sketches in the design process.
It is the perfect book for those just starting out in sketching, for the first years of art and design courses, and for those who wish to revise the basics of good sketching; it is a simple and efficient way of learning all you’ve ever wanted to know but have never had explained to you.

ISBN: 978-90-6369-253-7
Author: Koos Eissen and Roselien Steur
Design: Booreiland
Notes: Publication date: May 2011
Format: hardcover
Dimensions: 27 x 21 cm
Pages: 184

J6Studios… you beat me to it! :slight_smile: I was going to post about the new Koos Eissen book too!

Well, how about this new book? Have you heard of it. I just got it a few weeks ago and it is FANTASTIC! http://www.gordonharris.co.nz/sketches-p-50272.html

http://www.laobuke.com/goods.php?id=272

It’s mostly pen/pencil line drawings, but it still is simply marvelous to look at and get inspiration from. It’s a collection of the designer, Jordi Mila’s work. I got it I believe on Amazon UK, but Amazon US doesn’t seem to have it, I think. You can check.

Here is a link to an interview I found with this designer, Jordi.

http://trendsblog.co.uk/?p=13829#comments

Thought i could give a heads up to another new book that has recently been completed by myself with Klara Sjölen and the publishers of Design Sketching. The new book is called Learning Curves. The idea we had when writing the book was to give an idea of how learning to sketch worked from our point of view. The idea was in principle to expand on how myself and Klara learnt to sketch. Along with this the book also features sketches, thoughts and advice from over 60 designers from around the world. The book is at the moment very new, so i cant as yet point you towards any independant reviews, but you can see some samples of the book at, Learning Curves - Sketching technique books for designers There is also a facebook page at, Redirecting...

On a side note. I also run http://www.designertechniques.com and noticed that there is an expired link earlier in this discussion where we briefly reviewed some other books. The link should be, Design and Sketching book reviews (my bad on this one, i changed the address for the page without creating a forward).

Apart from that, i can also reccomend the book “Sketching” by Roselien Stuer and Koos Eissen. Its full of pretty inspiring stuff.

Cheers all, Allan

By the way, if anyone has any questions about Learning Curves then you can also feel free to drop me a mail at learningcurves@designertechniques.com