photoshop/ illustrator textures

It’s called Live trace. Pretty good tool but you have to play around with it to get the effect you’re after. It’s exactly like Streamline

Would this be a good size of a swatch to keep in a library?

here is a tutorial on how to make textures in photoshop, now you can make your own, take pictures and play with this process. play with the layer options to make them blend etc.

Envelope distort! Woot! ! I learned something new!

Note: to get it to work on a placed raster (bitmap) image in CS3, I had to “rasterize” it first. Whatever Adobe!

Can anyone point me in the direction of this tool on Illustrator CS4? Ive searched the internet and through Adobe help, and can’t find the ‘envelope tool’. Looks wild, excited to give it a try.

Hopefully they didn’t remove it in cs4. They have done that in the past with some very useful tools like arrows and meshes so it wouldn’t surprise me.
In CS2 it’s under “Object” and then Envelope or Distort about 3/4 down the menu, then you choose whether it’s “make with top object” or “make with mesh”.

Thank you for taking the time to post the instructions for the envelope distort process for texturing - found it, worked it out, happy to add these steps to my professional toolset.
Here’s the image I redid with some 1000D nylon and perforated leather I pulled from Google…

Thanks again, look forward to using this more.

great render. Did you just search for a 100D nylon texture in google images??

Nice! A link to that nylon texture would be a nice thank you :wink:

NICE dude!

Hi Homies…
Generally I’ve always filled a shape with a pattern in Illustrator (cs3) and then shaded it in Photoshop or just made a gradient. However, I’m looking to shade and form the pattern within Illustrator and this envelope distort method looks very interesting. I followed SKINNY’S advice but got stuck with the bounding box around the shape. Also there are several different options within the ‘envelope distort’ tool and I’m not sure which to use. I played around with a few but didn’t see anything even close to the results I’m looking for. Any further guidance would be much appreciated. :mrgreen:
-B

p.s. For more clarification; I’m trying to figure out how to distort the pattern fill but not necessarily the shape. (i.e. placing a pattern on an upper pattern piece but of course, the pattern wouldn’t naturally appear flat, so it would need some ‘depth’ to it- shading and/or pattern dimension change).

In the Spirit of generosity I have uploaded my swatch library.

Please note that some of these are copies from other designers swatches from locations from on the internet, just as inspiration for creating swatches of material.

enjoy
hotmix6

I encourage other people to upload their swatch books as a community

i get a file not found message…

Please remove previous post YO! as link is dead

In the Spirit of generosity I have uploaded my swatch library.

Please note that some of these are copies from other designers swatches from locations from on the internet, just as inspiration for creating swatches of material.

enjoy
hotmix6

I encourage other people to upload their swatch books as a community

link to swatches.

thanks
hotmix6

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have some Photoshop stitch brushes? Not the usual freebie ones off the web… i have those but they look so amateur, need clean, sharp of various lengths etc… any help well appreciated… thanks in advance…

you should try makin your own:) it’s very easy.

new file > Make a black shape (your stitch shape) > goto “Edit” > select "Define Brush Preset "> name it > hit Ok

open brushes palette > select your defined Brush Preset (should be last one) >turn all options off > click on option “Shape Dynamics” (which will turn it on too) > for Angle Jitter Control drop down, select “Direction” (make sure everything else is off) > click on Brush Tip Shape > increase spacing to desire.

Voila. Custom Stitch Brush.

You can also get creative with your brush by giving your stitch texture before you define it as brush, or making two shapes for double stitching, x shapes, etc.

hope that helps.

Many many thanks for the help… I had the problem to make the stitches follow the path at the correct angles… I think you know what I mean… appreciate the help. Good Weekend… Rob :smiley:

I draw in open source program MyPaint, which has some excellent brushes. You can easily create many different kinds of textures with them (for example, all my shoes have been drawn in MyPaint, see for example my Owl Shoe Shoes Featuring Animals by Dunja Seselja at Coroflot.com).

Softgoods newbie here. Have things changed at all in the past 7 years, or is it still custom brushes and distort tool? :wink:

Illustrator CC has gotten a whole lot better - it’s slowly transitioning handy features from Photoshop !
You can also experiment with the mapping tool on AI, pretty handy!