Any one into Generative Design ?

I never got the impression in this thread that any of the Designers see GD as a bad TOOL. The panacea that SK seems to think it is is the problem.

The birds nest analogy makes me think of the AutoRoute feature in PCB layout software. AutoRoute software was touted as a panacea-type tool when it first came out. That it was going to revolutionize the industry. The reality is that the PC isn’t able to route the nuances required within the context of a specific design. Routing the traces for a highly integrated handset is VERY product specific.

GD is just another Artificial Intelligence tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Give GD 100 yrs…maybe more, maybe less…when the AI algorithyms can truly go through high speed deductive reasoning with contextual analysis…then we can talk about it being a TOOL that can revolutionize an industry. Until then, it is a TOOL that I may consider.

Knowing what I do about parametric CAD…the amount of time to set up a GD model to truly create an “endless” amount of iterations simply doesn’t make sense to me. I would need to spend a minimum of a week to make sure all the dimensions are correct, the top down structure flows properly.

And the kicker is that is JUST ONE STYLE VARIATION.

I see the potential of this tool in the hands of a skilled designer.

Like Yo, I’d like to hear SK put this in the context of his experience with the tool in a real world scenario. A white paper. A case study, with real world numbers, and real worlds examples of success.

Until we get that, SK, you sound like a cheap car salesman.