1HDC 10.03 - Gestural Interfaces - Discussion Forum

I just thought i’d chime in to say that I think that the futuristic techno - house that takes care of your needs is not a good example of the “rich interaction” this challenge calls out for.

At least in the example above, all you have to do to interact with the system is wake up and get out of bed to get things rolling, and then your whole routine is executed for you. That is just a shortcut. That actually robs you of interaction.
If you, say, had to solve a puzzle every morning to get the alarm off and get your brain working, or even wrestle a robotic alarm clock to the ground to turn it off and to get energized, that would be rich interaction.
Some of the submissions that are already posted are only tools to make us lazier, by executing our button pushing for us because we don’t want to. That only dodges the task at hand of making the button more fulfilling to push.

This is a complicated bit of the philosophy of technology, and I just thought I would bring up the other side of the argument, which I believe has a very strong case.