1HDC 10.03 - Gestural Interfaces - Discussion Forum

Oh definitely- a totally automated house is way too much of a leap from where we are now, it was pretty much the first thing that came to mind which I thought helped explain an implicit interaction. The headphone idea is genius- I’ve seen a few other mobile implicit interactions:

1. A phone that goes into sleep mode when turned upside down- when we put our phone in our pocket, it is implied that it is no longer in use
  2. the iPod headphone Jack- I use this one all the time: Waking the iPod up is a lot more work than simply pulling out the headphones. When headphones are taken out, the iPod instantly pauses your music without waking up, a sort of understanding that you no longer are listening to music.
  3. Palm Touchstone- when you come home from school/work, fiddling with wires is the last thing you want to do. Instead, you can just toss your phone onto a plate (well… place gently…) and let it sync/charge.
  4. Microsoft surface- this one you’re going to have to google, as it created a boat-load of awesome implicit interactions

Thanks for the examples, I didn’t know that trick with the headphones on the iPod! Have to try that one later.

Absolutely. The only stipulation is that each one must be designed in under 1 hour.

Great, I will see if I can come up with another one.