Toaster

mo-i reminds me of one of my issues with this toaster, not that it’s a box with radii, I like that, but that all the surfacing is G1 continuity only, all the surface tangencies are very visible and make the sides appear to be bowing inward. The crumb drawer on mine is also not in place with the front surface and has some sink marks, things I would not be quite so harsh about if it weren’t a high end $100-150 PLASTIC toaster.

• Quote IDiot

Unfortunately I got to get ready for a meeting right now. I’ll come back to that this evening and write an essay about how industrial design came full circle when applying “the apple style” to industrial goods.

Simple is never simple, I know, but your client may not.

Regarding legitimacy, It’s worth mentioning that Jasper is as much a contributor/instigator to what you call “apple style” as anybody.

I dont think you guys have this in the states yet but here’s an awesome one from Sunbeam Australia.
Extruded aluminium chassis that has been machined to shape. Clear or black anodized finish.
Awesome.

That’s very good detail-wise, it looks a lot like an external hard drive

There’s a matching kettle on the way too.
The detail resolution is fantastic - the same attention to detail that makes the Siemens range so nice.
I’ll find out if it’s on its way to the UK. (sorry-assumed you were in the US)
If it is, it will be branded by a different company.

what does that have, a dual processor intel core in there? :wink:

There’s a button on the side you have to press to be able to safely remove your toast… :wink:

Thats good, i hate it when my toast gets stuck inside and i have to press the little button with a paper clip to get it out…

dear toast and bagel lovers,

i’m almost afraid to ask this BUT

are you not down with toaster ovens? :smiling_imp:

Same as comparing boiling water in a pot on the hob VS a kettle.
The oven seems like a waste of energy for a mere toast, I feel like I have to cook a turkey or something big to grant a visit to my oven : )
Having said that, my wife doesn’t see the point in toasters.

i think i’d call it a horizontal toaster rather than an oven. it melts cheese and other substances onto a surface really well aside from producing good toast. always comes with a crumb tray. good for heating a stale slice of pizza. i think the only downside is that the toast doesn’t automatically pop up

O I see, yes they are nice and more versatile than a toaster. I used to have one in the studio.
The footprint is on the big side though.

Typically it’s a toaster oven because you can also use it as a small oven for broiling and such (goes up to 350-450C), much higher than a toaster. It’s a toaster because you can also use it on low power to only toast toast.

NOT the same as a normal full size oven.

I don’t like them because they are usually ugly and take up so much counter space.

R

I grew up with a toaster oven and no toaster, but gave up my toaster oven in favor or a toaster after a couple years.

Just for a little more fun with semantics, KitchenAid, calls the item pictured a “Countertop Oven”
and not a toaster oven.

slight point of difference, there are counter top convection ovens, which are like grown up toaster ovens, not sure if this is one.

I also grew up with a toaster oven, and had one in college (what else do you cook Stouffer’s pizzas in!!!???). Something about them feels very 1970’s or dorm room to me. The microwave largely replaced them I think.

Au contrere mon freres. Notable 3-star chef Eric Ripert (of the 15th best restaurant in the world Le Bernardin) loves him some toaster oven. In fact, his show is conveniently sponsored by Cuisinart. You can do more than re-heat pizza and make quesadilla’s. Check it out:

http://blog.aveceric.com/category/gettoasted

I’d also cook up some hot dogs and maybe bake some cookies in the tube… oh yeah.

Wait, in the tube of dough? Awesome…

I was in a department store the other day and was marvelling several product groups… toasters especially (hey, if they don’t have fancy toasters here in England, where would they?!)

One had touch buttons, which I was surprised. Touch buttons?!?

This one was nice and you cold watch the toast brown.

This one was nice too

I don’t know what should I comment on this toaster. But new toaster design which I came across recently. Here is the description by the designer…

It engages its optical sensor to recognize bread and thereon activates the digitalization process of the toast. It doesn’t see itself merely as a compact toasting device but more like a print-maker of the traditional kind. Inspired by the early matrix printers, it now engages in burning black & white pictures with 12 by 12 pixel resolution into the toast by diligently marking line by line. With its candid intention of providing happiness to its owner, It can randomly draw from its repertoire of images encoded in its memory chip. It custom-toasts for a fresh start of the day.

Toaster or Toast Printer… :unamused:
zuse.jpg