Toy Sketch blog

@bpovich unfortunately I understand what you are saying.

I’ve met designers who come off as though they feel that designing toys is simple because a child doesn’t know any better and they are easily pleased, therefore it takes no skill. But when you get into vinyl figures and toys geared more towards adults who are design and fashion oriented or what not, it’s suddenly reputable.

Listen, I know plenty of amazingly talented toy designers, and I’ve known designers who do everything but toy that have no talent at all(and vice versa). There’s talent and talentless in all fields of design but for some reason designers like to segregate themselves.

I’ve known people I went to school with that felt they were a better designer than I was simply because they were into transportation yet they couldn’t draw a toy any better than I can draw a se xy looking car. Just find your niche, enjoy it, and don’t let it get to your head.

Often I feel that other designers think “those who can do and those who can’t design toys”. Hopefully this reply wont bring out too many internet trolls but if you love toy don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.