Industrial Design Schools: Opinions and Questions

YO makes probably the best overall comments on each of the 6 schools he comments on.

Everyone is going to say “I went to so and so and it is the best”. I truely feel there is only one way to choose.

1st find what academia (and design professionals) think are the best three to five schools. (NOT what are going to be the best, because that means that they are not)

just off the top of my head

CCS, CIA, Art Center, Cincinati. all top notch schools

Visit these schools and talk to the students and see their work. Look at the facilities (not how pretty the building is) but at the resoursessss, who teaches there, what does the faculty do in it’s spare time, where are graduates working (AND every college exagerates it’s claims “everyone gets a job” B.S.)What is the teacher to student ratio, and how many people make it through the program and graduate.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS EQUATION is TALK TO THE STUDENTS.
You have to visit the school, and break off from the steralized tour. See what the students really feel because they will be honest with you.

I was told some serious lies by the faculty at a school in Columbus, they actully lied to me and said " oh yea you can do transportation design here we have a pretty good program" I went for a tour and didn’t see too much trans. So I broke off from the group and started talking to students. They set me straight and said that the faculty says that to get students, but the students I spoke with actually recomended other schools to me for trans. But I was so impressed with my initial response to the beautiful modern building I was clouded by the real facts.

I could not be happier that I talked to the students and got the real story, so I passes up this school and visited three others, and made my decission bassed on what I have already stated.

OK enough already I hope this is in the smallest way helpful. Remember this is a very important decission not to be taken lightly. good luk

Scott Digital out…

1 Like