What has IDSA done lately - Part 2 Case Studies

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your very considerate and thoughtful post. I can certainly see both sides of the coin. I for one, contribute to core forums not for profit, but because of the value I get in return from the dialog. I also run (though not so frequently updated) my own blog (www.firstpullover.com for reference) a site which I hope to spread education and ideas an get nothing in return aside from perhaps a small bit of notoriety and the satisfaction of sharing knowledge. The difference is though, that in the IDSA catalyst model, someone else is profiting and and I would get nothing in return aside from, as mentioned, some exposure. A website which one produces content and nobody profits is wholly different than a case where someone contributes and everyone except you profits, even if the profit is not so much. It’s more a case of principles.

I do understand IDSA business model (or lack therof) and realize that nobody could expect to get rich or make a quick buck off submitting case studies or any other participation. At the very least however, what perhaps could be equitable is that anyone who submits a case study could download any others (or some set amount, but there doesn’t seem to be that many anyhow) for free. Or get a discount on membership. Heck, even small compensation and IP rights I think would go a long way.

One idea could perhaps be to grant a case study contributor with a limited time membership. Say 6 months. That way, you also get to have a tease of what IDSA could offer and have the opportunity (if IDSA is a good as it is purported to be) to hook someone for longer. The costs are probably nominal as from what I understand IDSA membership doesn’t really give much out aside from perhaps as discount on some conferences or a mag here and there. Sort of a free limited trial in exchange for contribution. Not sure if this would be enough to encourage more participation, but I think you need to look at it this way-

Someone can spend the time and $ to make a good case study and give it to IDSA for 0$. Or, with todays webpublishing, they can go to lulu.com, create it themselves and make x$ for each one they sell. They might even sell more than IDSA if well marketed and posted here on core. Why would anyone give away that value for free, not to even retain IP rights?

The thinking that a big org like IDSA is the only one who can sell/distribute content like this to me seem to be very out of date with all the new media tool and self-publishing things on offer. As an example, a book like Yo’s would in the past only be able to be published by a traditional publisher or someone like IDSA. Now, he can publish it himself and reap the rewards alone. (note- see my other comment in some other thread about how IDSA could even get a piece of this kind of action via sponsorship or IDSA stamped approval publishing).

R