Discussion about the IDSA

No Spec,

I am glad you opened the accreditation can of worms again. I was pushing for it several years ago but ran into a big wall. Most people at the time could only this as a test for the skills of design instead of seeing the bigger picture that it could be training and giving credit for learning things like a) the business of design, b) design thinking at a strategic level, etc.

I agree that a strong accreditation aspect would be good. As you have to set this state by state, if you follow the AIA and engineering methods, this will take many years to get approved and in production. I am not saying we should not look at other methods, but I do think having a legal aspect to this will be the only way to make this ultimately succeed. Now that more and more industrial designers are being forced into the litigious aspects product development this may be the time to bring this back up. The reason i say this is that accreditation would be needed in order to get proper liability insurance, like doctors have.