Industrial Design Schools: Opinions and Questions

I’d say in general the best place to learn about design is outside of the classroom. Students today need to make sure they invest more time into obsorbing the real world around them, because someday that will be your client.

Having said that, it’s equally important to employers that students coming out of school have a very strong skills set. You have to be able to communicate your ideas in a clear and compelling manner. Remember, in the real world you usually are presenting to non-designers.

Art Center is one school that definately has the curriculm to get you there, but you have to work hard at it. And the location is ideal because there is so much to do around you, but you have to find time to get out there and experience it. Also the alumni network is the strongest aout there

There are other schools out there that are well respected, CCS, RCA, Strate, Florzhiem, Coventry, Cincinatti and Art Acadamy, etc… I would encourage you to visit as many as possible, take all apects into account and pick the one that most inspires you.

I’ve worked at IDEO and Nike and I’ve learned that if you want to have a great job in design, you have to make the most the of your education, because you don’t want to graduate and wish you had a better portfolio.