The Official Hubless Wheel hater thread.

Those are great old images!

I like the aerodynamic wheel spats on the second one…

Being a horse-drawn vehicle fan I especially like this one; note the outriggers … so I guess this is actually a tri-cycle.

There are a ton more, check out the link.

Hmmmmm…

That hubless bmx could have peg mounded to it, but they would be like the super old school fold downs and flat land bikes with their little pedestals all over them. Thus ruining the minimalist thing they had going.

lol

Great thread! It seems like those hubless wheel designs pop up in waves…and there have been a lot of them in the last few months.

Remember the “Wear and Tear” Black Hole wheel that went into production in the early to mid 90’s (Hubless wheels | Bicycle Design) ? The idea wasn’t practical then, and it still isn’t.

Completely forgot about that ridiculous concept! Sure, it saves a pound… but so would changing half the components on that bike…

I realized after I posted that I linked to a picture of the prototype Black Hole wheel in my last comment. The actual production model can be seen at The amazing shrinking Black Hole and a Lime | Bicycle Design

It is funny to see how much the opening shrunk in order to actually get this thing to work. I never got a chance to ride one of these, so I don’t know how well it worked anyway, but the company certainly didn’t last.

Um… hi everyone, my name is Jensen and I’m a hubless wheel hater. I try to keep my feelings to myself, but it’s so hard lately. Everywhere I go, I’m surrounded by people who just love hubless wheels, with no idea the kind of danger it poses. I know. I used to be one of them. I even rode after putting hubless wheels on my bicycle. I consider myself lucky not to have crashed and hurt someone. Anyway, I’m here and I’ve been hubless-free for 26 years now.

:)ensen.

Um… hi everyone, my name is Jensen and I’m a hubless wheel hater. I try to keep my feelings to myself, but it’s so hard lately. Everywhere I go, I’m surrounded by people who just love hubless wheels, with no idea the kind of danger it poses. I know. I used to be one of them. I even rode after putting hubless wheels on my bicycle. I consider myself lucky not to have crashed and hurt someone. Anyway, I’m here and I’ve been hubless-free for 26 years now.

Welcome Jensen. Thank you for sharing your feelings.

who designed that saddle? Electronic polymers? To sit and sweat on?

Awesome Hubless 02.jpg

AWESOME (not) :laughing:

You left out the Mr Fusion nuclear cold-fusion-powered bar mounted computer that tells you where all your friends are getting a drink.

thank you to everyone here for saying what needs to be said about this ridiculous concept!

To all Haters,

I hate to tell you but here is the Nimbus 399 caster which is on the market.

1 Like

Now that is a hubless wheel I can get behind. Purposeful, and beautiful. It’s not trying to be something it isn’t. Most casters use a roller bearing anyway, they simply did away with the axle. Nicely done.

Great on casters, ridiculous on choppers.

I think this is another example of a badass hubless wheel.

Krown Lab - Baldur - sliding door rail

sweet

in light of recent posts, wondering if thread should be called

“The Official Gratuitous Hubless Wheel hater thread” or something to that effect ?
or are “haters gonna hate” regardless?

and here’s Mockett’s caster

This is badass, right up until you get to the $1049 starting price! WHAT? It’s some steel flatbar and a bearing, there’s nothing to it.

As the OP Snob, I decree that I have ultimate judgement on hot-or-hate calls on this thread! :sunglasses:

Those are all hot, especially the orange one. And the nakedness of the bearing on a rail is nice too. Most of these casters complement the overall aesthetics, like hubless wheels on bicycles do, and they are REAL.

Do any of them do the job more efficiently, cheaper, or with higher performance than the part they replaced? Probably not. And that’s not a bad thing; it keeps the design movement going. But scale any of these concepts up to bicycle size, and try to ride said future-bike.

We can change the name of the thread to “Official-design-competition-entry-bicycle-hubless-wheel-hater-thread”.