Discussion about the IDSA

So I got these emails Friday. To be clear I have no idea if this person has anything to do with IDSA but I thought I would throw these up hear.

Why dont you step up get in the game and improve it change it or shape it instead of sitting back on the couch and bitching about it. Volunteer and act on what you say you want , instead of wasting time! Do you know how to put on a conference? Do you know that all those folks at idsa are volunteers putting these events on as gratis service to make this event as good as it can be for members ? Why dont you redirect that energy and make the event more powerful by shaping it from the inside …

[My response] Wow!! Did that email make you feel better? How do you know that I have not been in tough with the guys from IDSA? Thanks for the advice. I have been in contact with some of the guys from IDSA after posting this. I do not have time to volunteer for IDSA. I wish I did, but it is not possible. I do plan however to give more feedback. Thanks for the note.

It was intended as a constructive call for action. I do tire from too many people who do nothing but bitch. I replied to your note because I only respect the people who are goping to contribute or comment , but have the balls to sign their real name to their email.
As I have no idea of your participation or contribution , I think it also possible that you do not know what an incredible undertaking it is to organize plan and put these things on , pro bono. It is like taking on a completeyl new second job with all the BS and no Pay.

Good to hear you in touch and connected.
JC

PS No it did not make me feel better. It was not intedned as getting my point across. But to explain that IDSA as most are

[My Response]Like I mentioned before I do not have the time to contribute nor do I feel that every Industrial Designer should. I have given my feedback to IDSA many times and as you saw in the forum that my opinion is the same as many other very talented and well established designers.

As far as me knowing how much work it is to put these kinds of events together, I do actually. I have helped in the planning of professional events before. Have I planned one for IDSA, no, but for you to assume that I don’t understand, or respect them for this is just false. I also understand doing volunteer work and the amount of time that takes, but it is just that volunteer and I would have to say that they new what they were getting into when they took the job.

The bottom line is that IDSA needs to show value and stop telling us that we need to fix the problems. If they showed value and what the organization could do for us then maybe more would step to the plate and help out.

I am done with this email chain as having an email argument with someone I don’t know or knows nothing about me I see pointless. If you would like to join the forums and contribute that way that is fine.

Justin Coble

Sorry I ruffled your feathers, I just want to know what you value and what you want out of the org in order for it to improve? What is you want the org to deliver? That what I am looking for.I hear everyone say they want IDSA to do more for us but I never hear what they actually want the org to deliver, specifically.

PS I am an industrial designer in the field for 15 years and a design educator.

Well Mr Caruso I don’t know if you read these forums (oviously you do from the first message) but if you want to know what we want I think it is being voiced here.