1HDC 10.02 - Emergency Shelter - Submission Forum

I was inspired by Victor Papanek (+ Design for the Real World) to use the form + transportation of helicopter seeds to deliver emergency shelter and goods. The fabric “wings” maintain the shape by the modular metal poles (found in tents) and the “seed” can open up and unfold to form a personal tent for the user. The pod part of the seed carries basic supplies like food, blankets, and soap and the pod can be left out as a water collector/purifier.

Thanks! This was fun.
-M

The Triforce shelther is a folding pyramid shape structure that can be used in a variety of environments. Insulation panels and heating/water collection provides comfort for the inhabitants. The Triforce capsule can be easily deployed along with first aid kits.

SOS Quick Shelter.
I used 70D nylon instead of 30 or 40, because it’s readily available and cheaper than the Cordura type. Backed it with TPU, which is safer than PVC and waterproof. Material is a translucent ripstop so you can see if people are moving inside and at night the light inside will show through. Size would be close to a mid to large mountaineering pack. Crank light on inside for obvious reasons. Bottom would be a thin tarpalin type material. I guess pack would wieght in under 10lbs, with a landed cost of around $20/$30 each pack.

I designed a shelter that can be turned into a water gatherer or a shelter. The shelter is easy to assemble very quickly and easily.

Here’s my submission.

The inspiration is from a paper lantern, obviously. They are cheap and easy to mass produce, no new technology is required and they are easy to transport. All these qualities make a difference when responding to an emergency.

Excuse the rubbish publisher job… one hour and novice design skills seriously hampered me!

Hi, My offer is simple plastic pipes or tube with unions and canvas or vinyl.
This in all sides exists.
I am sure that is done in less than one hour.

An Idea for emergency housing.
Hope it is of some interest

Peace
Max

I propose a shelter with a PVC tubular structure, you know like a tent with a fresh and waterproof fabric. And a folding system, maybe it looks like a taco, but common im from México, the taco its our best folding system ever hahaha kidding.
Greetings.

My first 1HDC

Brief: Portable/stackable aid boxes can be flown in with helicopter. Frame made of aluminum plates with hinges, easily expands from the aid box. Tarp or fabric is provided inside to stretch over frame. When the tent is expanded, the aid box provides stability and collects water. Med kits, MREs, and other survival materials are provided inside aid box.

Compact Lightweight Recycled Plastic Shelter Unit.

This shelter is made of recycled plastic a feature is its practical and easy to use buttons which allows the shelter to be easily folded and reused. Recycled plastic makes costs lower and is quite durable and lightweight. In addition it contains a mesh to protect from insects and a water resistant film to protect from the hot weather and wet climate.

Jake Kim

Semi-Rigid Tent
I don’t think that ‘airdropped’ emergency housing needs to be mutually exclusive with reconstructive development work. This emergency shelter can go up fast but also forms the basis for a customisable core dwelling.
The roof would be made of inflatable solar water heating panels or a woven vault like those proposed by Christopher Alexander.
My first one hour competition,
David Collett

This a is a temporary inflatable tent contained inside of a jacket with a rear zip to open it. This inflatable tent can provide a temporary emergency shelter. The inflatable tent has an optimized common structure to give a light and semi-rigid tent.
It can be designed with variety of inflatable structures, like the one on the sketch.

77 Emergency Shelter.

I began thinking about proven “temporary” structures. We all use Tents, but I thought of TIPIs and thought how it would suit the given requirements.
Idea was to use Everything from the start and Reuse it in the future.
The unit consists of, the parachute, parachute cord, outer shell made with long “STEM” units, and inner units including: Light & Energy unit(fuel), Food unit, Medical unit, Water and filteration unit and Finally soft unit containing clothes and sleeping bags etc.
Once it is deployed, a user can open the bottom and release the inner units. Then the “Stem” units can be deployed and rooted and act like poles on TIPIs. The Parachutes are then used as the outer layer and fastened together with parachute chord into a TIPI structure.
The top “Light” unit can be used to send out different signals via colors and perhaps even pulsation to indicate current status of the occupants.
I don’t have enough time to think about the materials for the STEMS or details on fabrication but this was an interesting hour. :mrgreen:

Introducing the Air Fortress
The Air Fortress is designed like an air mattress, but in a dome shape for shelter, the air mattress style design has an insulation effect in extreme weather conditions. It can be inflated by a battery operated pump common to air mattresses or by compressed air; we don’t want disaster victims passing out from trying to manually inflate one of these, and it contains glue that hardens inside the walls upon inflation for a semi-permanent structure. It can be shipped with first-aid items and other necessities inside, as well as a reversible tarp or parachute (reflective/absorbing) for use depending on desire to collect solar energy.

Caterpillar shelter

This shelter is made for being flexible to disaster´s city conditions. The only cleared path once the catastrophe has come are the streets, so this tube long is for passing trought the city ruins and debrids. Also it can sufer from earthquake replys, becouse its tensile and its anchored to a lot of surrounding buildings or ruins, so it doesnt need fundation. Becouse is a tube, its isolated from top and above. It can be ensambled be anyone becouse it doesnt have a “rigid shape”.
Tube can be rolled and packed as a circus tent.
It also can be placed in squares anchored to trees, or among forests, adapting to ground and trees displacement.
First thing of a big scale disaster as ahiti is that it haves to be massive, flexible to conditions, and to be as almost near the city as it coulds. this is for what it was designed.

(in the graphic the shelter is placed in the street among building debrids and vehicles)

I know this is very last minute but I really wanted to post this hoping it would generate some ideas for future catastrophes.
My idea is to use accessible construction materials to construct an emergency shelter.
In poor regions of Guatemala I have seen many homes constructed with these materials, which is what inspired me.
I made different sketches for the design but this one stood out because I thought it was more welcoming.
Thanks,
(Pictures from http://www.gettyimages.com)

concept caterpillar

This design is a shelter system. The concept is based on the caterpillars structure, as this little insect , have several segments which help to fold and unfold quickly.

Is designed for being assemble for 2 persons, so it is a quick retreat to use and can protect people who use it. The shelter has a graphic on the top to be easily seen from the air if it is used in a natural disaster.
:smiley:

SHIP ONLY WHAT IS NEEDED

1. each unit that is shipped is made of building material that can be reconfigured post disaster. It is inappropriate to ship a lot of items that will end up in the garbage. As people move out of this unit it can be disassembled and the material can be used in permanent construction.
    2)all alike components are identical for easy rapid deployment.
  2. fabric superstructure eliminates the need for watertight construction and provides passive cooling. This superstructure also allows for a second floor living space that is protected and off the ground.
    4)foundation can be adapted from rubble, stones, etc and the unit is anchored using a helical foundation pier. These piers can also be used in final construction.

The rigid structure is roughly an 8’ cube and all SIPS boards are US standard 4 x 8, 3.5 " thick and weigh under 20 lbs

concept seed
Our proposal is inspired by the designs of nature, based on simple shapes to create a modular design. The design proposal has leds in the structures that are illuminated at night to be easily located by land or by air. As regards the materials, it has the innovative technology of a plastic material embedded with solar cells.

Inspired by Bee Colony’s fast, flexible growth. Connectors allow for community to protect itself and sleep safely in a “I got your back” fashion while creating community spaces. Simplicity allows for ingenuity of the individual to modify unit to one’s own need.

photo from Haiti Earthquake | Haitians set up impromtu tent cities thro… | Flickr