Who is/are your favorite artists?

Michael Birawer

http://www.michaelbirawer.com/home.html

:: 3D ::

Henry Moore; I grew up down the street from one of his “Large Arch” pieces (below).
Saarinen, Eero and Eliel (Eliel’s North Christian Church in the background), for their human-scale “art” .

(edit - 10/11/11: I have never, until this moment, noticed that the clock on the church bell tower is not centered)

Auguste Rodin (once you get past “The Kiss” and “Thinker”) because his work unnerves me to some extent.; i.e., “Balzac” (below), the Burghers of Cailais, and his many “fragment” pieces.

Lorenzo Ghiberti, for his mastery of material and technology of the day; he resurrected the nearly forgotten Roman process of “lost wax” (investment) casting (1378-1455).

:: 2D ::

Leonardo DiVinci, for introducing us all to the concept of the process sketch.
Martin Grelle; modern western artist with a great understanding of light.
Stephan Pastis; Pearls Before Swine cartoonist - for a good laugh.

I remember my Art History professor discussing his work “The Age of Bronze” and saying at the time Rodin came under fire because the sculpture was so accurate people were sure he’d actually cast his model in bronze, killing him in the process.

Not the greatest, but Andy Goldsworthy’s simple style often amuses me.
andy_goldsworthy.jpg
Andy Goldsworthy.jpg

oh, and anything by this guy!

Antony Gormley

Anish Kapoor

Ron Mueck

Love to look at Turner.
Giacometti’s people always got me
Caravagio’s mastery of light was a revelation in college

That stuff is incredible!!

x2!

I’m really enjoying looking into the artists posted that I’m not familiar with. Keep 'em coming!

BTW, the artist that inspired the thread was Olafur Eliasson:

Some others for me:
Bill Viola

Barry McGee

I love the use of vintage photography techniques. Sally Mann is a favorite. Her most famous work is nudes of her children but I won’t post that here. She does great landscapes too.

Oh and also Matthew Barney, but in a totally different way. I saw his show at the Guggenheim (NY) in 2002 and it was really impressive. It was all Cremaster Cycle stuff. The guided tour revealed how intensely thought out EVERYTHING was.

Oh and also Matthew Barney, but in a totally different way. I don’t love looking at his work for a long period of time, but I saw his show at the Guggenheim (NY) in 2002 and it was really impressive. It was all Cremaster Cycle stuff. Not totally my style of art but the guided tour revealed how intensely thought out EVERYTHING was.

I saw that show. It stuck with me, I found it quite nightmarish, but beautiful in a strange way.

I am posting again in an attempt to keep this alive. Shouldn’t this post be many pages long?

I went to Iceland a couple years ago and happened upon a sculpture garden highlighting a famous native sculptor, Einar Jonsson. I really liked his stuff!

From skulptur.is “Jónsson completely rejected naturalistic depiction and publicly criticized the classical art tradition, which he felt had weighed artists down. He emphasized the need for artists to forge their own path and cultivate their originality and imagination instead of following in the footsteps of others.”

One of my favorite current artists is Bobby Chiu. He does some very creative digital paintings.

Beam Me Up Scotty

Big Bad Bunny Eater

Twins - Toroto Forest Project

Another artist is Christopher Conte. He does some interesting metal sculptures.

Steam II Insect

Blue Widow

Lethal Injection Attack Droid Prototype

i just love Goldsworthy, Birawer and Mueck. :sunglasses:

I’m pretty sure Banksy will always be my favorite artist. I love his point of view. No matter where he is, he always graffitis something that makes people think and take notice. I respect that.

saw some work of banksy and similar artists three weeks ago, and really liked it

i also like the kind of device art this guy is doing: arthur ganson

sculptural also this one: kris kuksi

and on the last weekend i was able to visit a exhibition of one of my all time favorites: max ernst

I have always loved Duane Hanson.
I also really like these illustrations by Scott Campbell.
Imgur
Picture 12.png
Picture 11.png
Picture 10.png

I have a bunch of my favorite artists such as Jenny Holzer, Cliyde Hassim, Jay Ryan, Konstantin Grcic, Philip Guston. :smiley: Phone Card Calling Cards

DaVinci, Giger and Alex Ross (DC Comics) off the top of my head.