1HDC 10.02 - Emergency Shelter - Submission Forum

Kay 0.2 (Kay means house in kreyol) is a rapidly deployble, easy to build shelter that can protect occupants from a cat 5 hurricane. Construction specs: sandbags are stacked in a circular shape to form a cylinder with inside diameter of 8 feet with a height of 10 feet. A roof of corrugated steel a placed atop the wall at 8feet heigt then 2feetof sandbags are added on with a scupper to catch rain into 55gallon drums in back.

Bellow refuge

This refuge can be esaly packed and unpacked, being hard enought to be used by long time. Easely transported, 6 or more refuges can be pluged one after another like shopping carts, and can be hauled by a common vehicle. Frames works with the same concept, expanding with the bellow. Interiors can be configured as necesity becouse of the modulation of slabs and mullions. modulation is based on container dimensions. Spikes in the sides of the refuge act as pilotis of fundation that can be adjusted to level the refuge over irregular or sloped terrain. It gives a perfectly dry and hard surface to stand an work.

Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my native language
(car and container are sketchup components from 3d warehouse)

My concept essentially is a quick solution for shelter during emergencies.
Easy to use, single step mechanism for hassle free shelter set up.
The two rings act as the skeleton for the shelter while the cloth acts as the walls.
The shelter could hold a family of 4 and can be easily dragged to required location with wheels.
Can be collapsed and stored when not in use.

Here’s a quick mock up made using microwave tray rings and photoshop.

In my concept I tried to understand the scenario of a calamity.

I have proposed in my design, a structure which can act as a mass stretcher to rescue the injured and then be modified into a shelter to protect the same.

The structure can be made of metal with periscopic side bars which when pulled cause the tent to be formed.
This will not only provide shelter but also help carry the injured to safety hence saving lives

Cheers
Vidhya

Concept Oval, is focused on ease of assembly.
For relief efforts Time / Speed will be crucial - Logistics and availability of local resources to combat calamity.
In case of earth quake local resources will be destroyed / will be scarce.

So OVAL is designed to be supplied by relief agencies .
Features :
Light weight construction.
Low Cost of unit.
Easy assembly.
Easy deployment and Removal.
Scaling up Possibilities like : Emergency hospital, command posts etc.

Concept thought 8 min , execution in Photoshop 23 min :slight_smile:
Hope it will help the cause !!
satish

My goal with this design was to create a shelter that would take up minimal space while shipping but maximize space once the shelter needed to be opened. During shipping the shelter can be stored flat and it’s durable shell would protect its contents. Once the shelter has reached its indented location, it would easily split apart and fold out, similar to how an accordion works. Removable support beams that would keep the two halves together while shipping would be used to keep the shelter from collapsing inwards once opened. There would also be basic survival items attached to the interior of the shelter door.

Cheers,
Mike

#1 The concept is based around a geodesic, self-inflatable plastic dome that can be air-dropped to the disaster location;
#2 Dome structural elements are concentrically arranged, containing material that hardens on application of water;
#3 Individual domes can be linked to form interconnected complexes. KaizenShelter: Rapid, self-assembled, self-supporting, semi-permanent shelters for reliable humanitarian relief

The cart is rolled onto a site and set upright. By pulling on the end of the cart, it will expand to provide shelter for a family or more as needed. The floor is made of a durable tarp-like material while the roof and sides utilize fabric with x-bracing for stabilization and screens as windows for ventilation.

I was inspired by Victor Papanek (+ Design for the Real World) to use the form + transportation of helicopter seeds to deliver emergency shelter and goods. The fabric “wings” maintain the shape by the modular metal poles (found in tents) and the “seed” can open up and unfold to form a personal tent for the user. The pod part of the seed carries basic supplies like food, blankets, and soap and the pod can be left out as a water collector/purifier.

Thanks! This was fun.
-M

The Triforce shelther is a folding pyramid shape structure that can be used in a variety of environments. Insulation panels and heating/water collection provides comfort for the inhabitants. The Triforce capsule can be easily deployed along with first aid kits.

SOS Quick Shelter.
I used 70D nylon instead of 30 or 40, because it’s readily available and cheaper than the Cordura type. Backed it with TPU, which is safer than PVC and waterproof. Material is a translucent ripstop so you can see if people are moving inside and at night the light inside will show through. Size would be close to a mid to large mountaineering pack. Crank light on inside for obvious reasons. Bottom would be a thin tarpalin type material. I guess pack would wieght in under 10lbs, with a landed cost of around $20/$30 each pack.

I designed a shelter that can be turned into a water gatherer or a shelter. The shelter is easy to assemble very quickly and easily.

Here’s my submission.

The inspiration is from a paper lantern, obviously. They are cheap and easy to mass produce, no new technology is required and they are easy to transport. All these qualities make a difference when responding to an emergency.

Excuse the rubbish publisher job… one hour and novice design skills seriously hampered me!

Hi, My offer is simple plastic pipes or tube with unions and canvas or vinyl.
This in all sides exists.
I am sure that is done in less than one hour.

An Idea for emergency housing.
Hope it is of some interest

Peace
Max

I propose a shelter with a PVC tubular structure, you know like a tent with a fresh and waterproof fabric. And a folding system, maybe it looks like a taco, but common im from México, the taco its our best folding system ever hahaha kidding.
Greetings.

My first 1HDC

Brief: Portable/stackable aid boxes can be flown in with helicopter. Frame made of aluminum plates with hinges, easily expands from the aid box. Tarp or fabric is provided inside to stretch over frame. When the tent is expanded, the aid box provides stability and collects water. Med kits, MREs, and other survival materials are provided inside aid box.

Compact Lightweight Recycled Plastic Shelter Unit.

This shelter is made of recycled plastic a feature is its practical and easy to use buttons which allows the shelter to be easily folded and reused. Recycled plastic makes costs lower and is quite durable and lightweight. In addition it contains a mesh to protect from insects and a water resistant film to protect from the hot weather and wet climate.

Jake Kim

Semi-Rigid Tent
I don’t think that ‘airdropped’ emergency housing needs to be mutually exclusive with reconstructive development work. This emergency shelter can go up fast but also forms the basis for a customisable core dwelling.
The roof would be made of inflatable solar water heating panels or a woven vault like those proposed by Christopher Alexander.
My first one hour competition,
David Collett

This a is a temporary inflatable tent contained inside of a jacket with a rear zip to open it. This inflatable tent can provide a temporary emergency shelter. The inflatable tent has an optimized common structure to give a light and semi-rigid tent.
It can be designed with variety of inflatable structures, like the one on the sketch.