One designer's review of the Local Motors Rally Fighter.

Of course it is your right to respectfully disagree Brook, but I think you are off on this one. This is not a cohesive design. It doesn’t sit together. Instead it seems like a collection of disparate favorite cliche elements and stock bits. It is easy to make something garish and claim it as unique and rebellious.

On a conceptual level, I just don’t get it. Sports coupe profile, muscle car and fighter jet details, jacked up off roader? The front is a collection of circles, and radiused rectangles, the side is a collection of soft and crisp forms that clash against one another, the rear is a collection of triangulated polygons.To assemble elements from cars and fighter jets in an attempt at mass appeal is not an example of a good design for me.

To be unique it doesn’t have to be ugly. It can still “flow” together and be original and striking. It can be tough while being holistic. That is the designer’s challenge.

I’m being hard on it because I believe in the project and I think it is important.