One designer's review of the Local Motors Rally Fighter.

Well the whole notion of Local Motors is crowdsourcing.

Crowdsourcing is the new age word for design-by-(unpaid) committee.

I think they pulled off a lot with what they had, and given the nature of it some of those elements don’t bother me.

I can forgive the Civic tail light usage in the name of saving cost, but some of those transitions are definately painfully awkward and don’t seem to have a reason to be that way. It almost looks like they mismeasured in their original CAD file and had all the other surfaces worked out so they couldn’t go back and fix everything to line up.

The door handle is just painful. It may need to be that low for ergonomics since its such a high vehicle with no running boards, but it’s pretty awkward.

The random graphics on the side are also a bit…odd. I liked the fighter plane inspiration, but those just don’t make sense. If you’re gonna have people it might as well be a sexy chick riding a missile. :smiley:

I just hope they can actually pull this off. My bigger worry is no one will pay ~$55k for what is effectively an off-road toy when it seems as if a $25k Jeep Wrangler with some modifications would provide as much amusement and creature comforts, plus another $25k for a real car.