Apple Industrial Design

So I’m going to confess my “fan-boy” stature opennly now I guess. I couple of days ago I bought an iMac mini to be a media hub for my TV. I also got their wireless keyboard. The stuff is just amazing. I own 3 macs currently and they not only never dissapoint, they continue to raise the bar. They are pretty much the Lance Armstrong in their area, they are only competing with themselves. I’m not saying it’s going to be like that forever (or even for 5 more years) but just calling it out for the hey-day it is for them.

So back to my experience. I go into the store, grab a mac “genius” tell her what I want to do, she goes and gets everything for me, including a few optins (you can get these cables, or these cable, later you can add this if you like, and so on) she checks me out on her iPone and I’m on my way.

Once I get home, I connect it to my TV, turn it on, and it asks me if I want to import information from a backup, I connect my hard drive, it ports all of my data from my laptop, and boom, its all set up. I open up iTunes and it’s like I’m on my other machine, my email is up an running, it’s even got my wireless network password… it all just works. And it’s doing it with style and grace. It connects itself to the wireless keyboard (which is beautiful of course), it sets the screen resolution correctly, it’s just idiot proof in the best sense. I can do what I want to do without without having to figure a bunch of crap out.

Now, the one bummer is I really wanted the new magic mouse to go along with it, but they had just sold out! Being super apologetic, the told me about a $2 ap for my iPhone that turns it into a mouse called “air mouse”, installed that app, and now I don’t even think I need a mouse! The ap works extremely well with the software and of course the iPhone just talks so well with the mac mini.

So, I guess I can profess my love.

If someone beats them, I think it might have to be someone completely new to the game without an infrastructure that prevents them from making good product.