Sketch-Fu: Women's Footwear

Some of my old work…

billymenut : those are…HHHOTies
my first attempt …
High1.jpg

Heres one I did over the summer on a Cintiq in SBPro…

Actually really enjoyed drawing it

Great additions everyone.

I really like that Jimmy Choo concept Francisco. Thanks for commenting on my coroflot as well.

Keep 'em coming!

I was referring to that one you had in the other sketch-fu, i asssumed it was new, but that makes sense.

Here’s my women’s addition, I don’t do too much of it and its usually not dress/tailored stuff.

To dziner82:

Great stuff, did you do that in illustrator/photoshop and added textures or was that done in alias/rhino or some other 3d rendering software. It’s crazy how much life texture can give a rendering.

Joe,
photoshop. Materials are scanned in from swatches. Not always as fast as other methods but helps to give me a better idea of what the shoe will look like before we make samples.

I use that method for renderings as well. Did you shade it after you inserted the swatches. Your renderings have a nice three dimensional feel. I feel like I see darker areas and that florescent magenta fabric looks reflective. Here’s one of my renderings, doesn’t seem to have as much life…More specifically the upper pattern.

I’m also a women’s footwear designer. But thanks for the feedback, always good to get an un-biased opinion. Now I feel like I need to post a killer b-ball rendering.Your renderings have a nice three dimensional feel. I feel like I see darker areas and that florescent magenta fabric looks reflective.

Been wanting to post here for a while but always kept forgetting to.
These are some of my 1st year sketch/renderings (most of which were ladies shoes) hope to post more on this topic and the athletic one as time passes by and thanks in advance for any comments, advice, and etc

And 1 more for today. This was my Freshman year project where we had to design either a derby, oxford or pump and then make it. I ended up making a ladies high heel derby mainly using patent leather and kangaroo fur. I can’t seem to find a copy of my final render so here’s my final sketch and the finished product.
26960208_1983761911.jpg

To J1N: That’s a great concept. I think your perspective needs some work. It is looking somewhat flat. The best way to remedy this, is to just look at a shoe while drawing it. Or draw from a picture, but nothing beats drawing from life. Also sketching the plain that the shoe is sitting on can give a better since of perspective and space as well.

Joe,
yes the shading is done after the swatch is imported into the rendering. Sometimes the material loses some of its charachter after being scanned so i have to try and get creative with the burn/dodge to bring sheen or gloss back to it. On the pink mocc the toe and heel counter are supposed to be a bit reflective, the rest not really.

I agree that your upper pattern on that sandal looks flat, but its hard to make it look as realistic as that jute wrap some you have used, i do like how you did that, the upper just has no shadows really is what i think is causing the disconnect.

Good point, thanks.

Just trying to keep this thread interesting. Keep 'em coming people. Here’s another development concept.

I did this on the train this morning.

Let’s get some more additions.

nice joe.
that woven vamp is geeking me out, its like an MC Escher how the woven quarter ends up also looking like a woven footbed at the heel. Just the perspective and how much higher the other side is, but it gets me every time. :slight_smile:

HAHA! I didn’t realize that till just now. Good observation, I guess the other side of the heel being too high does create that illusion. That design is in development, so I’ll post a sample when I can.

Is that your own design that’s in development? As in, you’re not an employee or freelancing for someone? If it is, are they happy for you to post their development online?

Be careful, confidentiality is something that employers value greatly, if you want to advance in your career, you must remember this. Keep your sketch-fu stuff seperate from your work stuff and check your contract.

I don’t show any design and development work until it is at retail, if it didn’t get selected, I might show it in my portfolio, but not online. I have this in my freelance contract so that everyone is absolutely clear on the matter.

Some of my clients request I show none of their work in my portfoilo or online at all, ever and I even have contracts which go further than that and stipulate that I’m not even allowed to tell others that I’m working for them!

Sketch I did for class assignment