1HDC 09.09 - The Future of Digital Reading - Submissions

READ N’ ROLL

Hi all, so my idea is of a portable electronic reader that can roll up to about the same radius as a 12oz soda can. It’s inspired by the now old fashioned newspaper. I’d imagine it’d be about a quarter inch thick and available in different heights comparable to those of paper backs, hardcovers, magazines, and newspapers. The outside would be comprised of durable plastic panels that allow the reader to be rolled when not in use much in the same manner as the wheels of a tank, and would protect like one too! When opened, the panels would snap together keeping the book rigid and straight.

The reader could be rolled out completely and pages could be displayed one at a time, divided via the center, quadrants, etc. according to the preferences set by the user. Also in environments where space is tight, (i.e: cars, subways, buses, etc.) the reader could be unrolled only slightly and the page would scale to fit only the open area. Pages could be turned by either sliding (much like the iPhone)or tapping a thumb print icon which can be stationed anywhere on the page as set in user preferences.

When rolled out completely, the farthest panel to the left would be exposed. This slightly thicker panel is the control panel and contains all the buttons regarding user preferences, and also a firewire and/or USB port to upload new books and other information. The control panel also stores the stylus, which can be removed and used for note taking, highlighting, etc. This design enables the control panel or “brain” of the reader to be at the center core, and thus is most protected when rolled up.

Since I’m sure we are all aware that in this day in age we are incapable of simply developing a reader that only facilitates reading (ex: phones can’t just make calls, they have to take pics, surf the web, store music, and wash your car too), I’ve added a few extra features. The Read N’ Roll has large memory capacity and wireless ability to allow for other types of non-conventional reading to be stored and or accessed with your reader, such as–personal documents, websites, blogs, etc.

The control panel’s furthest ends (top and bottom) can still be accessed even when fully rolled up. The very top has a head phone jack that can be set to play any stored audio information even when rolled up in your bag! And on the opposite end, at the very bottom of the control panel is the port that the charger locks into when loaded in the charging dock. AND! Because chicks dig sustainability, when unrolled somewhat and placed in the sun, the reader can be charged anywhere via small solar panels stored in the panels nearest the control panel so that they are also protected when rolled up.
IMG00516.jpg
Enjoy and remember that book lovers never sleep alone!