1HDC - 09.09 - The Future of Digital Reading - Discussion

Steve P: Great idea! I love the idea of getting some user-centred design into the 1HDC. I find it is so hard to get it into contests…I hope it goes well.

IP, Core management, Steve P again: I second the props on giving to a charity. Everyone wins.

nice Idea ADD! Well I would say that as I had pretty much the same train of thought, interesting use of OLED.

Thanks, Sketchme …

This is the best 1HDC yet. I’m so much more motivated by this stuff as opposed to sexy car sketches (don’t get me wrong–I love to sketch). Here’s to more research-informed 1HDCs!

If that is true, why is the quality of visual communication so low? These pages are not well presented at all!

Take a lok at coretoons for inspiration. A great storyboard in this style should be the MINIMUM!

C’mon people, take it up a notch or ten! Show me something that we can be proud of. Leave the chicken-scratch sketches off.

yea, I agree with Yo. With something as bland (physically) as e-readers, line drawings of rectangular planes aren’t going to do any favors. I’d suggest some nice strong storyboarding/contextual drawings of the e-reader in use, as well as the ecosystem it lives in.

Slightly hypocritical since I haven’t done an entry, but just my opinion.

Well I agree what we’ve seen so far is not presented well at all. I will definitely be giving it my best effort within the 90 minutes. I’m currently letting my brain digest an idea that I like before I work on the actual presentation. C’mon people, this is a compelling story, let’s tell it visually!

Looking forward to some good ones. Process and research are nothing if they lead to poor results…

Did I miss the part of the instructions that said submissions had to be in blue pencil? :slight_smile:

Thanks…
FR4.jpg

Question, has anyone noticed that out of the entries so far only one of the participants has more than 10 posts on the Core77 forums? I’ve seen a lot of 1 post entries in the design challenges, what gives?

I don’t know why no one’s doing this. This 1HDC seems like a really compelling brief to me, and I’ll be posting something in the next few days.

Seems like a trend to me… maybe a school has ‘suggested’ that their students partake in this challenge. I love the one hour design challenge because is is open to all but I think that some may be being put off by these mass entries. Or is that just crazy talk?

An interesting topic though certainly and I look forward to finding an hour tomorrow to smash out some designs. :slight_smile:

I just posted mine up. I tried hard to add some variety and not just design a better e-book.

Cameron, have you seen the Espresso Book Machine? The Espresso Book Machine - YouTube There are only a few in the world so far and one is near me in Boston at the Harvard book store. Its a really interesting device, but its still really heavy on the engineering and light on design ( it still looks a little like a prototype to me).

Wow, that’s killer. I wanted to do something print-on-demand, but knew little about the subject and time was limited. I think this organizational model is really exciting and fun, and hope it will be implemented on a larger scale someday. I definitely want to flesh out my concept further. I wonder if they’d hire an intern/junior designer?

Guys, I am a lecturer of one university in south east asia, can I submit the entries of my students with their names on it? Most of them having difficulty accessing the internet and registration to the site?

Please advise.

Any word on when they announce the results? I’m curious what the guys at Portigal think of our concepts.

It was posted today to the blog. Announcing the Winners! 1 Hour Design Challenge: The Future of Digital Reading - Core77

I won’t be able to post the results here for a day or so.

Sorry, been swamped lately.

No worries, IP. We know you’re busy and do this on the side just to give back. Thanks for your hard work!