1HDC - 09.02 - Discussion - Business Card Hack

I think the one that are practical for me are the tea bag holder, the pen holder and the key hook. Also the core earphone case.

I can see myself using some of those design in my studio where white wall is around and temporary organization is needed.

Whoa, didn’t see those, there is a seed paper company out there that makes seed business cards (I found this out after the fact) however you plant the entire card and the contact info is lost, kind of pointless.

It’s already out there, but there are some cool possibilities nevertheless - check out this landscape architects card with living green areas in the planview. Not amazing, but clever…
landscapebizcard.jpg

I dunno, I pretty much enter a biz card info right away then recycle the card (I regularly back up my contact d/b)

Something other than the typical recycle process is kind of cool.

Personally I think the business card is pointless aside from the polite formality of presenting it to someone to suggest that you value a connection to them in some way. Could this not be accomplished with the ridiculous amount of technology carried in the form of a cell phone?

“Business Card” app for a Blackberry, iPhone, or G1 where you can open a private LAN and flick your card to their screen?

We’re in full agreement. That said, this has been around for a while. When the Palm devices were in full swing, it was vogue to use the infrared to beam your contact info. It was like a strange business mating ritual back in the 90’s/early 2000s.

With Blackberrys, just email your contact info right there.

But it is kind of like a handshake…a “human” interaction.

i like the idea of the augmented reality portfolio. it’s a really cool idea and definitly seems appropriate for the era we are in.

however, i don’t really like how Billy May turned his submission into an interview.

i believe there are other forums for that.

Mini Brush and Dust Pan, Enjoy!
Sorry i post a wrong place

I like the design of the dust pan.

might take a while to clean the whole house though, haha just kidding.

good thinking stars!

i was wondering what constitutes 3 dimension. a business card by itself i a 3 dimensional object.

just curious because two of my designs seem flat, but the added material to the surface , i.e. stickers, photograph, theoretically make it more 3D then it already is.

is there a minimum measurement for the Z axis?

Door are closed. Thanks to all for your submissions.

I would love to hear what you think are the best of the best.

there were a lot of creative approches to this challenge.

I think the best in all facets of design was zec’s business card holder. the idea of a business card holder is far from unique, however the design is strong, effective, and simple. it certainly demonstrates form following function. Zec also presented his final product exceptionally well, which is key when trying to make an impact on a target audience.

I think the best in originality was the paper seed card. even though it isn’t exactly 3D. Although some, like myself, would argue that a business card alone is 3D.

I like my stuff too but i’m assuming that was obvious since everyone is partial to there own work.

Great challenge, i’m happy it was my first.

oh and i wish more people got involved in discussing the entries while they were coming in. maybe next time.

Bull’s Hula Card made me laugh.

I think all of the modular, sculptural submissions were really great, however I think having to use more than one of the same card in the design kind of defeats the purpose. A base sculpture card or card with instructions for building a sculpture out of other’s cards, or a card that was a tool to do so is something I’m surprised didn’t appear. The business card holder probably comes close to being the best multi-card solution as it involves others cards.

The pin-hole camera I expected, but the execution was great!

Simplicity of the wheel card was elegant.

3D glasses card again was something I’ve seen and expected, but I thought the execution of this one was really good.

I liked mine of course, it becomes 3D, but of a different form and material than what it starts, so in a way there’s a 4th dimension to it.

Great stuff, too many to have just a top 3.

I really liked the pinhole camera. Very smart indeed.

Also the split name tag on the seed card. Nice feature.

And the Rear view mirror photo frame.

Greenman - Had my 3d glasses been done before??!

Good work everyone.

Yes, but the way you linked it to a virtual website and your execution was better.

Imgur

I think the 3d business card holder was well executed and the 3d glasses to be innovative, if done up well with the given portfolio.

I do kind of want to point out that the youtube video accompanying my post comprises 90% of my entry. The business card images are merely peripheral and unimportant to the core idea. I only say this as the business card images have 7 times as many views as the video. Good luck to everyone.

Also, when are the winners announced?

Defiantly the 3D glasses business card was the most original and well executed it also adds another dimension to handing out a business card.

Decisions were made last night. Keep your eyes open for an announcement.

Thanks for everyone’s submissions!

was a winner ever announced?

ya, they were. In the Core77 Newsletter for sure…why it never made it to here is a mystery to me.

I will see if I can dig up the info. Sorry about that!