Senior Thesis :: TODDLER FOOTWEAR

interesting idea, but in reality might be to scratchy on the hook side of the velcro to be comfortable for a child or parent to pull on.

maybe instead of the toggle attaching to velcro on the vamp, there is a little pocket for it on the tongue. Check out cheerleading shoes. They often have a little pocket or flap that the laces go into. you could maybe also address the attaching of the two shoes in another way, maybe with some sort of special clip on that heel pull…

R

Yea, this came up in review yesterday too. I’ve got a couple ideas to work around that velcro detail, but someone also suggested magnets could work too.

On a bigger note, someone mentioned that it’s good for the shoes to stick together, but if they are separated in the first place (thrown around by the kid, misplaced, etc.)…what good is it to have that feature? Therefore, they suggested that there should be something worked into the velcro that makes the kid want to stick them together intuitively (maybe a character detail, etc)…but something that can push that effort.

One option that I’m exploring for the lace/toggle detail. Based off of the suggestions I got on Wednesday’s design review, this is looking at that question of how do you make the kid want to stick the shoes together when they’re off their feet. So, this is bringing the character detail to those toggle pulls, utilizing magnets to allow the slack to be cinched down to the toe, and switching the magnet placement in each shoe so that the magnetic opposites allow the shoes to clip together…

not sure if magnets would really be strong enough (and if so would be difficult to take apart). I do like the characterization of the parts though… another idea might be something where the shoes have parts that look like hands/paws and you make the shoes hold hands with each to attach them… I’m thinking still of more something with the heel pull area and not the toggle though…

R

That hand/paw idea is a good one. I’m gonna look at the heel pull tabs on the inner booties so that they can stick together too…I’ve been looking at the toggles mainly because it’ll help to both keep the over-shoes together, and also cinch that excess cord down when it’s on the foot.

Yeah i like the idea of some sort of hand or paw. I also don’t think you should have two faces on a shoe. R is right on about the magnets. I think the magnets would also raise the price a bit. I know that was one area parents agreed with when you first started gathering information. The project is moving along nicely though.All your thought and exploration will end in a really great final concept. Do you have to create a hand made model of your concept like you did in exploration?

Yea…think I’m going with the hand/paw idea because it’s also easier for me to prototype (no small details like the teeth or anything), and it’ll go along with the footprint theme that I have on the bootie. I’ve weighed the pros and cons between velcro vs. magnets, and I’m going with the magnets. I’ve done some quick testing and found some magnets that’ll work great. Also, from the research and talking I’ve done with the parents, the magnets will allow them to place the shoes on surfaces like the fridge, dry-erase boards, etc…so that they aren’t going crazy looking for them.

A final model isn’t required, but i’m definitely doing a more refined prototype with more detail and stuff.

Here’s an update with my current prototype…finishing some upper stuff, and now getting to the final adjustments on the sole…that sole in the pics below is a paper pattern. The orange toggle pull is a placeholder for now too, until I can get to those details that were discussed in the previous posts.

Wow, that is looking really nice! The prototypes look a lot cleaner than the last one. I realize that rounding the teeth was recommended but i like how they are pointed. The one thing a don’t like is the toggle. I feel it may just be to bulky. Great work, keep it up.

Thanks! It’s time consuming work, but definitely worth it. The toggles are proving hard to find online…I’m not really happy with the bulky look of the ball toggle either, however it does feels nice in the parents’ hands -but I’m still looking for other kinds of toggles that’ll look better.

awesome, send the techpack to the factory.

very nice. it has almost an old school Nike Aqua sock to it. My fave is the purple colorway, maybe in the same ACG vibe, dunno, but I’m feeling it!

Good stuff.

R

Thanks for the great feedback guys. Here’s a prototype update…dialing in some details…

totally bananas!

Yeah, i’m just loving your work right now. I figured the toggle had to do with finding one or something like that… The new views are great. Just great work!

Awesome stuff, great job documenting this process and great photos by the way. So nice to see clean product shots instead of grainy incadescent lit photos.

I may have to pull a Madonna and go get a baby just so I’d could have them rock these.

Chris, man this is a crazy project and beautiful process. You and Phil provide great inspiration (especially for myself). Hope to meet ya at the top…lol oh and congrats with the adidas gig.

Thanks Yurri and everyone else…glad you guys like the project and the process especially…I’ll be updating with more stuff soon.

Updated pics from yesterday’s photo shoot at studio:

Up on Yanko Design today too (their product description is a bit weird however):